• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igm.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Headset recommendation (1"1/8th)
  • martinhurton
    Free Member

It’s been a while since I needed a headset. My Tiogra headset feels a bit tight/rough now and despite greasing and cleaning it’s been smoother.

Obviously you can get sealed bearing headsets now rather than the caged headest I have. My headset was in pretty good condition though, not full of mud and crap like you’d expect so wondering if sealed bearings are really needed?

Any recommendations for a headset under £30 that’s nice and smooth and should last for years. Can’t find my Tiogra headset anymore and it’s not lasted that well. It’s ok, but not something I’d recommend.

CRC have some Crank Bros XC headsets at a good price (£25) but there are mixed reviews about these on the web so I don’t think I should risk that. Looks perfect, except for the poor reviews 🙁

woody2000

Orbit XLII

Crank Bros is likely to explode whilst fitting I imagine 😉

martinhurton
    Free Member

Crank Bros is likely to explode whilst fitting I imagine

I’d read that somewhere! Also read of a few exploding mid-ride after just one drop off a kerb 😯 Glad I didn’t click buy, I’d might not have seen the end of the week. That was a close call 😆

Orbit XL2 is too expensive unfortunately. £30 is my maximum limit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MadPierre
    Anthony
    Free Member

Email me for a £15 gunsmoke Hope one if interested.

Otherwise always found Ritchey WCS’ for sub £30 to be sound.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks all, I did search google, honest!

Planet X looks good to me.

Anthony, I have sent you an email though.

Cheers all.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks David, that ebay store has some good prices on bits.

I have just sorted out the hope headset with Anthony above. Otheriwse I would definiately taken the above advice and gone for the FSA.

Thanks for the help all, it seems FSA gets gets the thumbs up and did meet my budget so I’ll remember them for my other bike/friends bikes.

Cheers, Martin

mikewsmith
    Free Member

second hand hope.

Sealed bearings while not necessary are better, lower maintenance and easier to replace. Hopes currently running at 5 years

Northwind

Crank Bros with a moving part in it, avoid!

Orbit MX or Cane Creek S8, both excellent and both £25 or under. (Hope are just as good fwiw, just that they’re twice as expensive- great option for funny-shaped steerers and head tubes but no reason to spend that much for standard steerer)

igm

Northwind – do the multi-tools count as moving parts? They seem OK.

martinhurton
    Free Member

second hand hope.

That’s what I’ve gone for 8)

Didn’t realise Crank Bros stuff was so poor. Will avoid at all costs 😯

Northwind

igm – Member

Northwind – do the multi-tools count as moving parts? They seem OK.

Actually, fair point, they’re not bad at all. I’d still get Topeak mind, not as shiny, but good.

martinhutch

I bought a new Orbit XLII for about £17 off Ebay, and it arrived with all the relevant bits (even a crown race 🙂 ) and seems to be working fine.

igm

Ahh actually now I come to think of it if I’m honest I relegated the Crank Bros and bought a cheap Topeak in the end too.
    The CB’s chain splitter wasn’t up too scratch for heavyweight chains.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Headset recommendation (1"1/8th)’ is closed to new replies.