Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • headset race slips straight down- Race prob? The steerer doesnt thicken at base
  • hora
    Free Member

Basically I was ready to hammer on the race. However it slid right down to the base. Is it classed as too worn to use or will the headset bolt create enough torque anyway?

(Steerer is one thickness the whole way down. Not belled/thicker towards base)

(Editted)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

be fine

wwaswas

you coudl put a bit of threadlock under it if you're worried.

hora
    Free Member

just tried the race on another fork- its harder to get on-bottom of the steerer 'bells out'/thickens.
    On the steerer of this fork though its more 'straight'. Race is a Chris King. Fork that thickens at the base of the steerer is a Pike and the steerer that is the same thickness the whole way down is a Lyrik.

bobbyspangles

if it is able to spin freely then discard and source another race, bit if it fits all snuggerly then run it as is.

FACT

uplink
    Free Member

It'll be fine
    I have one that I can install & remove the crown race with just my fingers

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think CK can supply undersize crown races.
    Alternatively you could try one of the various strengths of Loctite retaining compounds such as "Bearing Fit"

hora
    Free Member

Can steerers sometimes come in one thickness though? (secondhand forks)

bobbyspangles

the tolerances should be quite tight between steerers. if you are worried, have the crown faced then fit the headset and check for play.

hora
    Free Member

Eurika. I've just found another CK race. Tight when it reaches the last 1/4 inch. Its a very worn race. although wierdly the Pike forks have a very visible 'step' for the last part of the steerer.

bobbyspangles

can vary if the steerer is steel or alloy, old bean

hora
    Free Member

Both are alloy though. Sniff, I dont buy lower end models.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘headset race slips straight down- Race prob? The steerer doesnt thicken at base’ is closed to new replies.