• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Headset questions…
  • DrP

So I MAY have a new frame on the way with a 44/56 headset requirement..

I are confoosed…
    Hope do one here whisch is £67, and a low stack height (“integral”, 14mm stack height).

I like uber bike stuff too, and their ceramic one is on offer https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-1-18-to-15-Tapered-Headset-Ceramic-Bearings-Black with a stack of 27m.

Am i being dumb in wondering if one will/won’t fit – they’ll both fit right? Just that the Hope has the bearings more ‘inside’??

Cheers

DrP

nickc

Those headsets have different fittings

the Hope one is intergral, and the Uberbike is a mixed integral/external.

what frame are you getting? that might be a good place to start.

DrP

it’s a travers angus SS…

Wbsite just says “Tapered head tube – ZS 44 / ZS 56”

DrP

nickc

probabaly needs integrated both top and bottom then.

The Hope one will fit, the Uberbike bottom cup won’t.

DrP

Ah, ok, sero stack…

Looks like it’s the hope one i need..

DrP

cp

Superstar Type 2 top cup and Type E bottom cup assuming you are using a tapered steerer fork, or Type I bottom cup for straight 1.1/8″ fork.

£35 for the complete headset:-

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/uk-made-headset-complete.htm

EDIT – I’ve just got one of their headsets for 44 straight head tube – nicely made.

Rubber_Buccaneer

OK, someone explain to me why the Uberbike headset linked to won’t fit just fine? My opinion is the only difference between ZS and EC is the stack height difference from bearings in or outside the headtube?

DrP

^^
    It prob would fit..Jim jsut said he’s got an external CK one as “it’s what he had”
    However, I like hope stuff, I want a lower stack, so went for that!

DrP

bruneep

Ha, very timely I’m just looking for a headset 44mm straight headtube with 1 1/8″ straight steerer

I’m thinking Top: Type 2 ZS 44 Bottom: Type B ZS 44/30

Yes?

nickc

Rubber,

My understanding is that 1. The headtube internal diameters are different, 2. The insertion depth is key to ZS type headsets (they’re not all the same)

happy to be corrected though

Parktool Headset Standards Explained

Rubber_Buccaneer

1. The headtube internal diameters are different

Nope, 56mm = 56mm. If you want an angleset you often have to switch from ZS to EC to give space for the ofset

2. The insertion depth is key to ZS type headsets (they’re not all the same)

True this is important but can be an issue for either type.

At least that is my understanding. I sometimes ask questions as if I’m stating fact and wait to be put right 🙂

cp

Ha, very timely I’m just looking for a headset 44mm straight headtube with 1 1/8″ straight steerer

I’m thinking Top: Type 2 ZS 44 Bottom: Type B ZS 44/30

Yes?

aye

cp

OK, someone explain to me why the Uberbike headset linked to won’t fit just fine? My opinion is the only difference between ZS and EC is the stack height difference from bearings in or outside the headtube?

it will fit, but you’ll have +the lower cup added to stack height – which may or may not bother you. Head angle kicked back ever so slightly.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Anyway, this post isn’t really about headsets it’s about

a travers angus SS..

very nice (apart from the SS bit 🙂 )

DrP

🙂

I’ve been oogling them for several months..the fact there’s only 4 made for sale offers a slight nich ove rthe fact it’s a very expensive single speed only frame!!

DrP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Headset questions…’ is closed to new replies.