• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Headset question. A simple Yes or No… :-)
  • DezB
    Free Member

Is a Drop-in headset the same thing as an Integrated Headset?

amedias
    Free Member

maybe

simondbarnes

It depends

DezB
    Free Member

Dammit.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Eranu.

DezB
    Free Member

This place used to be helpful. 😥

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What the bike, give us the info and we can google it for you 😉

wwaswas

This place used to be helpful.

Yes

PJM1974
    Free Member

Specialized?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

My guess:

No

“Drop in” is only part of an headset? Can be integrated, can be not integrated…?

Guessing only.
    Making noise
    😯

DezB
    Free Member

Well, I know which headset I need – this’un:

Now, a couple of brands that I’ve found (Ritchey, Syncros) call em drop-in and others call em integrated, so, as the Ritchey and Syncros ones are a bit cheaper and easier to get hold of.. well, y’knaa.. ^^ That question

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That is a specific code if that is what you need then that is what you will get regardless of what it is called, it’s a good bit of standardisation (or at least giving them all a name)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yes. I think!

I think of them as “drop in” as you have noting to press into the frame like A Headset cups. You just drop em in and they mate to the angle in the head tube.

Was that helpful?

scaredypants

answer will be printed on the crown race

… but you can only see that once it arrives 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean there Mike. See, the Ritchey, has that sizing, but doesn’t use that exact code (or maybe it does and yet is called drop-in)
    Here – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritchey-wcs-headset-lowers-drop-in/rp-prod130225

Headset shopping experience is limited after having a Hope headset for 10 years not needing touching, then getting a frame with a tapered integrated Cane Creek and it going crap after a few months!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry I thought you meant they both had that exact code, that is the bit that is the standard, all IS 42/28.6 top cups should fit the same.

DezB
    Free Member

That’s Cane Creek’s headset finder result for my frame.

nedrapier

Mu.

nickc

integrated = the frame has a cup cut into the headtube.

semi-integrated = the headtube has a permanent cup fitted already that cannot be removed.

traditional press fit = you have to press in a cup.

work out which your bike has. But mike is correct, all headset labelled with that code will fit.

fooman

It can depend on headset manufacturer but I found on Brand X tapered headsets the bottom bearings identical but the top bearing had an ever so slightly smaller outer diameter with the integrated set. The integrated coming with matching cups obvs.

DezB
    Free Member

semi-integrated = the headtube has a permanent cup fitted already that cannot be removed.
    traditional press fit = you have to press in a cup

I know all those, ta. Question in first post still not really answered.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not the same thing but behave in a similar way, though the real answer is order one with that exact code on it.

nickc

Question in first post still not really answered.

2nd post answers it perfectly 😆

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Is a Drop-in headset the same thing as an Integrated Headset?

still – my guess:

Simple No

8)

DezB
    Free Member

2nd post answers it perfectly

Indeed. I’m glad it was simple 😀

otsdr
    Free Member

Yes, drop-in and integrated are used interchangeably.

Assuming Cane Creek correctly identified the headset for your mistery frame, you should be able to use any IS42/28.6 IS52/40 pair. For the bottom part I’m pretty sure you could get away with the bearing and crown race from any tapered headset; as mentioned above, the top part may have a slightly differently sized bearing, so it would be preferrable to get the correct “IS” part.

traditional press fit = you have to press in a cup

That does make sense, however most of the time “semi-integrated” refers to zero stack (ZS) headsets, which are pressed in (integrated – IS, semi-integrated – ZS, external/traditional – EC).

DezB
    Free Member

Ah yes!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Headset question. A simple Yes or No… :-)’ is closed to new replies.