Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Headset querry?
  • rab5474
    Free Member

Good evening STW
    To cut a long story short i am fitting alot of new parts on a marin quake 7.1 for a mate, he foolishly bought a set of boxer teams for it with a rather short steerer, my solution is for a lower stack headset, we only need an extra 15mm. The bike is currently fitted with an fsa pig 1.5 reducer and when i removed the lower cup to check clearence everything fits fine. ( lower cup measures 12mm). I have my eye on the superstar reducer (grande bambino) but im not sure if this will fit the frame. I guess what i’m asking is if i get the superstar headset will it fit the frame and will it give me the clearance i need.

Thanks for taking time to read.
    Rab

andyl
    Free Member

The SS one is a very low bottom stack isn’t it? That will change your a-c height and have you definitely made sure the dials on the crown won’t hit the frame during steering?

I would look for a headset with a low stack upper cup if the frame was intended to have an external lower cup and that size fork.

andyl
    Free Member

Take a look at the Hope pick ‘n mix as you may be able to just fit a new upper section with a lower stack height: http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG240

Is the headtube 49.57 internal diameter and fork 1 1/8th straight?

rab5474
    Free Member

The frame was designed for a 160mm fork (he ignored my advice not to put boxxers on it)
    So reducing the a to c would probably do him a favour, and the lower crown fowling the frame isn’t really an issue as the frame bumpers stop it achieving full lock. And should have mentioned the fork steerer is normal 1 1/8 not taper.
    Thanks for everyones help so far

tomhoward

How will changing the h/s change the axle to crown height of the fork? If you can’t lose the mm you need if may be easier to try and get a lower crown and steerer unit with a longer steerer. I’m assuming you’re using a direct mount stem?

rab5474
    Free Member

Yes using a direct mount stem, have had a look for a new lower clamp but they dont come cheep, whats the general thoughts will the grande bambino fit?

andyl
    Free Member

A to bottom of head tube then. What I mean is it will change the angles slightly.

The SS headset looks like it will fit and it will save you about 16mm. How long are the boxers?

Northwind

It’s a boxxer, so, easiest option will be to just replace the bottom crown. Are they current or old boxxers? I’ve got a lower crown with a pretty long steerer going spare.

rab5474
    Free Member

Im not sure on the year mate but i think they are 2009 how much are you wanting for the lower crown, and how long is the steerer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Headset querry?’ is closed to new replies.