Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • headset Q – does this look right ?
  • cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/69346709@N08/7305493666/]Cycleofaddiction 1253[/url] by cycleofaddiction71, on Flickr i’ve been bugged that there’s a seal missing on this especially since fitting a new fork a couple of months on from purchasing the bike from On One and finding no grease whatsoever in there

stumpyjon

Does look like a dust cover could be missing.

GeForceJunky

Looks fine to me. There won’t be any grease because it uses sealed bearings I’d guess.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

No its open cage bearing no seals anywhere i’ve seen a post recently about seals missing in headsets from On One

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks OK to me. Water rarely gets in the top race anyway.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Coleman
    Free Member

Looks wrong to me. The silver split compression washer visible should surely be under the top cap to centre the steerer/bearing race. Too many spacers also 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Coleman – Member

Looks wrong to me. The silver split compression washer visible should surely be under the top cap to centre the steerer/bearing race.Depends how its meant to be assembled – all mine are like that

chives
    Free Member

At the expense of possibly sounding thick – what’s actually applying any preload to the bearings if the nearest clamped item is 8 – 10mm away?

unovolo
    Free Member

I have 2 FSA headsets and the split compression washer is under the top bearing cover on both.
    Doesnt look right to me.

Are you not able to get a exploded diagram off FSA to see how it should be built up?

cynic-al
    Free Member

chives – the spacers transmit the compression.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not if theres a brake cable hanger clamped onto the steerer between two spacers they dont. (Thats what it looks like anyway!)

njee20
    Free Member

Has he not just moved it up to take the photo!?

alfabus
    Free Member

there is a spacer betwixt* headset and brake hanger…. i’d guess he tightens the top cap bolt, and then the brake hanger.

*brilliant word 🙂

danjthomas
    Free Member

As coleman says, youve put the silver bit with a cut out in upside down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘headset Q – does this look right ?’ is closed to new replies.