Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Headset Press
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Got half of my hope he a set in the 1.1/5 end but can’t get the top 1.1/8 bit in without it being majorly crooked.

My threaded bar and washers method has failed. So looking for a headset press but all the cheaper options only do 1.1/8 and would rather something that can do both.

Any recommendations that are not silly money?

Andy-R

I just put them in with a soft hammer – I did make up a headset press but to be honest I prefer to just tap them in.
    One of these, in fact

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Whereabouts in the world are you?
    You’re welcome to borrow mine if you’re anywhere near Shrewsbury?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The one on planet x looked good when I had a look the other day. Has adapters for all the different sizes too.

honourablegeorge

Unior one from http://www.eu-bikeshop.com/ has been recommended, and there’s an unbranded one on there that looks to be basically identical.

kevin1911

If you have a 1 1/8″ tool, and happen to have ever bought a set of dumbells with free weights – one of the weight discs fits niceley on the bottom press to form an extra large press.

I must say I was rather pleased with myself when I discovered this 🙂

honourablegeorge

kevin1911 – Member
    If you have a 1 1/8″ tool, and happen to have ever bought a set of dumbells with free weights – one of the weight discs fits niceley on the bottom press to form an extra large press.

I must say I was rather pleased with myself when I discovered this

Genius – I have a threaded rod, and a bunch of those. Ideal.

slowjo
    Free Member

I always find a sash clamp works a treat….tho’ they can be a bit long!

nedrapier

A bench vice works nicely too, if you’ve got one big enough and someone to help hold the frame.

I like the dumbell idea, though!

wiggles
    Free Member

In south Wales so bit far from Shrewsbury, thanks for the offer. Will take a look at those links thanks.

Assuming the threaded bar of your press is a bit thinner than the hole;

Start with it as near the middle as you can.
    As soon as it starts going crooked, STOP.
    Loosen it off a bit and move it off centre towards the high side.
    Pull it down just enough to get it level.
    Carry on from the beginning.

wiggles
    Free Member

That worked on the bottom cup but the top just kept going in crooked.

oldboy
    Free Member

If the cup is stuck knock it out and start again. I have never failed with the big washer/threaded bar method. Try warming the headtube with a hot air gun and lightly grease the cups.

If you’ve had a go and it’s gone wrong, it’s quite possible you’ve put a slight burr on the frame or cup.
    Go round them both with a fine file and put a bit of a leading edge on them.
    It doesn’t need to be much at all, just enough to get it started square.

darrenspink
    Free Member
    sammo12321
    Free Member

2 words…

LBS + biscuits.

Okay so technically that’s more than two words…
    but its a darn sight cheaper than a tool you’ll use once in a blue moon.

wiggles
    Free Member

didnt need the tool in the end…

Didn’t have a soft mallet/hammer so just picked up the frame and persuaded the end sticking out to get level by using the frame as a hammer and smacking it into the (carpeted) floor 😆

Disclaimer: I do realised that this statement probably means nobody will ever take any mechanical advice or want to buy anything from me.

Northwind

Rubber mallet here- actually do own a proper press but I almost never use it (last time I did, it exploded a headset cup)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Headset Press’ is closed to new replies.