Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Headset options that aren't Hope or CK?
  • carlos
    Free Member

A friend has asked about replacing his headset and as I’ve only ever had CK or Hope, they are my default answers.

He’s not looking to be that spendy but wants good sealing, proper cartridge sealed bearings and not loose or loose in a cage

Bike is a Scott Genius 740 and currently has a Syncros 1.5″ – 1 1/8″ semi intergrated, OD 50/61. ID 44/55

I’m sure because of the spec/sizes he’ll be limited but thought I’d ask

Thanks in advance

Carlos

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Decent can Creek one? Failing that hope it will be cheaper in the long run.

legend
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Superstar ones, can’t find a reason to fault them

jimw
    Free Member

The cane creek ones are good,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

some ofThe cane creek ones are good,

Fify, some are a heap of crap.

thedude
    Free Member

I just finished riding 4000km in New Zealand and the superstar one is still perfect. The sealing is great.

jeffl

Out of interest why does he want to change headset? In my experience it’s because people want some bling like CK or Hope. May be easier just to throw some new bearings at the existing headset now and again, assuming they’re readily available.

Anyhow I’ve used FSA in the past and they seem reasonable.

jimw
    Free Member

He’s right, perhaps I should have qualified it by saying “the sealed cartrigebearing cane creek ones are good, midrange and above”

But I was assuming he’d look at those. My bad

carlos
    Free Member

Jeff – put new bearings in it last time. Think it was caged top and bottom iirc. Not after bling but something that offers better sealing and longevity. Current one is 18 math old’ish and one of the parts the manufacturers save money on by fitting lo end kit

Thanks for the replies, I’ll steer him to looking st CC mid range and above

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He’s right, perhaps I should have qualified it by saying “the sealed cartrigebearing cane creek ones are good, midrange and above”

Yeah just seen a few cc top caps etc and opened to reveal a mess of balls and crap.

nedrapier

FSA “MX pro/something” off Planet X on the commuter/road/cross/beach racer. 6 years and 15,000 miles later, on road and off. no bearing replacements, still turns smoothly. Maybe not like butter, but absolutely fine, no plans to replace bearings any time soon.

I’ve got King on another bike that I found on sale for £75 and matched the colorway/spending scheme I was aiming for. That headset might not ever do 15,000 miles.

nigew
    Free Member

What about the Brand X ones on CRC?
    I have one on my Foxy and its well sealed and still turning fine after 12 months, it was on offer for £15 too!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not cane creak 40.

Hellishly badly sealed lower bearings.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyone know how to measure headsets? I’ve been on the Intense Site and they say “Tapered headtube, 44|49 headset size” which doesn’t seem to collate to anything from Hope / Superstar in regards to sizing.

Yak

As nobeer ^ Cane Creek 40 – awful.
    FSA orbit range are pretty good, especially the orbit xtreme pro. I had those outlive hopes. Other than that gusset aren’t too pricey and run woodman bearings.

me1tdown
    Free Member

What about Gussett?

hatter

Acros are good if you can find them .

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d give these a try if they have the right fit…
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/uk-made-headset-complete.htm

30% off code this week, see other thread

Northwind

Any FSA or Cane Creek with a cartridge bearing in

(and I include Cane Creek 40s in that- I’m pretty sure the “badly sealed lower bearing” mentioned is the same bearing they use in other products that nobody complains about)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The Scott frames have an odd sized lower cup. Hope do make one to fit however, not sure how many others do.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Headset options that aren't Hope or CK?’ is closed to new replies.