Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Headset Help: This doesn't look right
  • Wozza
    Free Member

I bought this last week and the headset feels like it's fitted properly, but it doesn't look like it…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Cups aren't in properly, they should be pressed right into the frame.
    Having said that, I don't know what the internal of a Cannondale headtube is like

angryratio
    Free Member

the headtube may need reaming to allow the full insert.

Wozza
    Free Member

That's what I suspected, but is there something about headshock I don't know?

brakes
    Free Member

should it have an integrated headset?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's highly unlikely that someone will manufacture a headset that's outwith standards i.e. won't fit.

Get it pressed in in lbs.

scruzer
    Free Member

Might be obvious, but have you used a headset press to fit the cups? Looks like they would go in with the right tool? Though dont do anything drastic!! Oh and dont ride it too far or too fast like that…

Wozza
    Free Member

I didn't do it, I bought it like that. To be honest I didn't spot it but it was such a good deal I would have bought it anyway.

Allen keys are out… i'm going in!

Marmoset
    Free Member

How old's the frame – I've an 2004 frame that will accept 1.5" headsets with no problem – I believe that earlier frames had a shallower rebate in the headtube that won't accept a 1.5" headset cup without modification.

parkesie
    Free Member

Cannondale head tubes are machined to fit a short insertion headset anything that needs to go in further wont fit.

psychle
    Free Member

that's not a headshock is it? and I'm not sure you'll get far with allen keys 😉

Wozza
    Free Member

I believe that earlier frames had a shallower rebate in the headtube that won't accept a 1.5" headset cup without modification.

Cannondale head tubes are machined to fit a short insertion headset anything that needs to go in further wont fit.

This sounds plausible, I think it's a 02/03

bbb
    Free Member

You need to ream out the headtube to a deeper depth to accept this headset or buy the correct headset for a cannondale headtube:
    e.g.
    Cannondale compatible 1.5" headset
    This is described as follows:
    "Additionally, we make a Double Xc-short, which allows the use of a 1-1/8” fork with Cannondale HeadShok frames."
    The reamed depth on cannondale headtubes is only about 10mm (to accept headshok bearings) hence the need for a short insertion headset.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Or…cut the headset you have down.

Although it may work fine as it is.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Headset Help: This doesn't look right’ is closed to new replies.