• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Headset help
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

So I have a new frame which takes an integrated tapered headset. the forks I’m trying to fit are straight 1/18th so I need an adapter. I bough this Headset and this adapter.
    When I put the adapter on the forks and then the crown race on top I seem to have only a very small contact patch between the two. Without the crown race the contact between bearing and adapter is very poor.
    So firstly should these two parts be compatible or is the nukeproof only compatible with a nukeproof headset? secondly if I have bought the wrong parts please recommend alternatives (this is a winter hack so not wanting to break the bank).

rocketman
    Free Member

What size is the headtube?

If you need an adaptor the headtube is probably 55 or 56 or possibly 49 mm diameter at the bottom and 44 or 49 at the top. The adaptors usually have a specific angular contact that matches the headset lower cup

DezB
    Free Member

and this adapter.

That’s not an adapter, that’s a Nukeproof Reducer Crown Race.
    No experience but I believe that would only work with Nukeproof headsets.

don’t you need a mix n match headset to run 1 1/18″ forks in a tapered headtube?

Like – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-warhead-mix-match-bottom-cup/rp-prod124574

pinch_flat
    Free Member

The headset type is an IS42/IS52 which doesn’t appear to be particularly common- certinly the Nukeproof listed above doesn’t seem to have a suitable option

rocketman
    Free Member

Hmm have you looked at Cane Creek or FSA headsets?

Looking through CRC’s Q&A the NP adaptor seems pretty specific to NP headsets

pinch_flat
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the FSA headsets and not found anything that seemed suitable, haven’t looked at cane creek

DezB
    Free Member

Try this – https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

You need to know your fork/frame measurements (in mm to make it even more bleeedin confusing!) and I have a feeling it will give you a mix’n’match result.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Headset help’ is closed to new replies.