Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Headset headbanging!! Problem….
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I took delivery of a roadframe and spent a couple of days sourcing a headset until I finally found one at CRC. Headset arrived and I set to work installing with the homemade headset press. Perfect, NO! It wouldn't go in, so I assumed that either the headsetpress was not strong enough or the tube needs reaming.
    Had a quick look on Wiggle for the tools and decided to take it to my lbs, he said it would be ready this morning at a cost of €25,00!!!!! Text message last night to say he couldn't do it as the headset won't fit!!!

Am I correct in assuming that there are not going to be problems in the headse size? CraneCreek IS 3i 36X45 and all 36X45 have the same outside diameter??
    The problem is most likely that the head tube needs reaming, correct?
    Experiences and solutions please, I really need to get back on the road and get my training up.

Also, anyone know how you say "ream" in Spanish?? 😆

Gracias.

Woody
    Free Member

If you need a headset press you have the wrong headset. The iS3i is for integrated headsets and the bearings are designed to fit into the headtube directly without cups.

What frame is it?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I've never heard of having to ream a headtube. There's either a problem with the headset or the headtube assuming you've bought a 1 1/8 headset for a 1 1/8 frame (or 1" for a 1")…

You have bought the right headset for the frame, haven't you? What frame and what headset is it?

donsimon
    Free Member

Ribble frame requiring 36X45 integrated headset (hidden headset according to Ribble) 1and1/8, headset bought is CraneCreek 1and1/8 integrated 36X45 headset assuming it is the same as the Alpina!

retro83
    Free Member

ignore me misread post! 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Fair enough! 😆

retro83
    Free Member

Edit: You know what? I'm going to stop posting this early in the morning!

donsimon
    Free Member

Which picture? The Alpina or CraneCreek? To me they both look the same and the description of the CC is:

'IS' headsets use no cups. IS bearings rest inside a head tube designed to cradle the bearings which greatly reduce stack height and weight.

And therefore, if I understand, is integrated and should fit. Names and types of headsets are a huge PITA!!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Stop doing that!!!! 😆

I'm off for a ride now and going to the shop to have a chat and see the problem… Laters!

rootes1

For integrated headset, those pics look like semi integrated i.e. Cartridge bearing directing into headtube, like campag and crane creek you may need to have the headtube reamed and faced. Park make tools to do this for both makes, perhaps your lbs does not have them? Park have decent diagrams to id different types of headset and how to fit them. Perhaps ribble don't prepare their frames properly (more likely) Or just to suit the alpina they sell. I would contact ribble.

donsimon
    Free Member

Rootes1- see response on the other thread, I love Saturday mornings!!! 😆

rootes1

Sorry was using my phone… Hope your national team spanner man can sort it……(not team halfords is it 🙂 But your right too many terms for headsets.. Have a good ride si

Woody
    Free Member

I don't know what's more confusing, why the headset won't fit, or trying to work out what the hell is going on between two threads on similar topics!

You should have the right headset for the frame (Merlin are doing them even cheaper BTW) – maybe you have been sent the Campag model by mistake which has a very slightly larger OD 41.8mm as opposed to 41.0mm

donsimon
    Free Member

Back from the ride now and I'm not able to speak to lbs until Tuesday!!!

maybe you have been sent the Campag model by mistake which has a very slightly larger OD 41.8mm as opposed to 41.0mm

Possibly, but don't they have different profiles?

Almost confusing as Retro posting then deleting at the same time I'm responding!!! 😆

Woody
    Free Member

Possibly, but don't they have different profiles?

Yes, the angles are different but from recently wasting a looong time trying to work out the problem with mine, which is designed for Campag fit 45×45, I realised that the previous owner had used the 'other' standard. This meant that they appeared to fit and work ok but were sitting slightly proud of the headtube, as they were smaller outside diameter ie. 'Cane Creek fitting 36×45'. They installed into the headtube ok which is why I think it's possible you have the same problem in reverse as the Campags have a slightly larger OD.

donsimon
    Free Member

BINGO Woody, you appear to have the answer, from this article the IS 3i is Campagnolo and IS 3 is standard. Shame it doesn't sat anyting on the CRC page.

Top call and thanks everyone. 😆

Time to e-mail CRC…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Headset headbanging!! Problem….’ is closed to new replies.