Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Headset fitting cost?
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

How much does your local shop charge for fitting a headset? Do they give a discount if you buy the headset from them? Edinburgh bikes in Aberdeen charge £25 even if you buy the headset from them. Is this normal or expensive?

chakaping
    Free Member

My lbs charge 10 or 15 iirc, had two fitted in last year.

Maybe an element of discount for being a regular in there.

martinhutch

£10 would be a reasonable amount, I’d have said. £25 is very much on the steep side IMO.

matt_outandabout

Join your local bike club and borrow their headset press for about £25….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It depends if it’s just ‘fitting a headset’ to a bare frame

or

Removing fork
    Removing old headset and crown race
    (Insert also possibly cutting steerer on new fork)
    Fitting new headset and crown race
    Reassembling bike

One take a fair bit longer than the other!

cultsdave
    Free Member

It is £25 just for fitting,no cheaper even if I have removed the old one myself!

bencooper
    Free Member

Does this include reaming and facing the head tube and fork crown?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Free if we’re supplying it & the forks & old one are already removed.
    Otherwise depends on amount of work involved (removing forks/old headset/crownrace/facing/refitting etc.)

cultsdave
    Free Member

Ben Cooper- not sure I didn’t ask.

RDL-82
    Free Member

£26.50 at Evans but that included frame prep. Maybe that’s expensive I don’t know, was the first time I’ve paid as had no access to tools this time.

darrenspink
    Free Member

My LBS said £15, not bad really but I still decided to DIY creating one of these as I like to know how to do things.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGfvO-ztoT4[/video]

winston
    Free Member

My LBS charged me £25 last year but that was for handing him my complete bike and a new headset (which I didn’t buy from him) and getting it back the next day with a new headset installed. Good value I reckon but I bought a tool this year anyway as I prefer to be self sufficient

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Crikey almighty, what have things come too? I’m assuming you’re a grown man; use a block of wood and a hammer!

Northwind

Frame prep maybe makes it worthwhile, they’re taking the mick if it’s just for fitting. Though I never bother with any of that, a well made frame shouldn’t need metal trimmed and if there’s paint overspill it’s easy to remove. I’ve got a “proper” headset tool but I usually rubber mallet it, and I don’t worry about damaging anything because I’m not a clumsy oaf

mcnultycop

Free, if I buy it off them.

Few beers if I don’t.

jimw
    Free Member

“use a block of wood and a hammer!”

I have done this on old secondhand frames but I was reluctant to do this on a brand new Ti frame tbh
    My lbs will put the cups in the frame free if you buy the headset from them. I’ve always done the rest myself so don’t know what they charge to transfer forks etc.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Make a tool like in the video above
    Its easy and costs bugger all

Or just bash it in if you can’t be bothered with that

Or take it to a shop if your a millionaire and trust other people

Personally I only trust me

br
    Free Member

It is £25 just for fitting,no cheaper even if I have removed the old one myself!

If you are having to pay someone, then don’t bother removing the old one and make sure you’re having a decent one fitted. Hope’s and the like should outlive the frame IME.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Or just bash it in if you can’t be bothered with that

& risk ovalising the headtube.

I use a homemade one like in the vid, just be sure you get the cups started square & not ‘wonky’.
    A big **** off vice is also an alternative if you have a mate to line things up with you & hold the frame or turn the handle.

Northwind

esselgruntfuttock – Member

& risk ovalising the headtube.

If you’re a fanny. But if you’re a fanny, you can damage anything with anything.

scotroutes

I’ve used one of those threaded bars and it’s OK. I’ve also just tapped it in with a mallet. Both work fine. I do find that it helps to freeze the headset cups for a while beforehand (overnight if I remember) and also warm up the frame (hot water/hot rag).

£25 sounds ok if they’re facing/reaming the headtube and I guess that, since the OP never asked, this may well be what they’ve quoted for.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Yeah Dave Edinburgh are a rip off, so are Alpine too, give the guy at Banchory Cycles a call. He fitted mine for £10 when I was building up my bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

£25 sounds ok if they’re facing/reaming the headtube and I guess that, since the OP never asked, this may well be what they’ve quoted for.

Unless things have changed since i worked there i wouldnt expect it does.

Not saying any more on the matter.

chip
    Free Member

Wheeling In a complete bike and handing them a new boxed headset to fit.
    £25 does not sound too steep.
    Surely bike mechanics can’t all pay their mortgages in beer and biscuits.

cultsdave
    Free Member

No, but when carrying in a bare frame and purchasing a headset from the shop then getting charged £25 for fitting sounds very expensive.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you get it done/pay or not then?

We’re on the edge of our seats here.

chip
    Free Member

So if it’s a bare frame, will they just be pressing in the cups and sending you home with the rest of headset in a box or fitting your forks too.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I just pooped in to enquire on the cost. Thought that £25 was too much for what would take 10 mins. So no I did not get it done. Will buy or make my own press instead.

br
    Free Member

Thought that £25 was too much for what would take 10 mins.

No such thing as a 10 minute job…

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Did you call the guy at Banchory Cycles?

I wouldn’t try the DIY route personally as you could ruin the frame if you fit it incorrectly and the cost of a headset press doesn’t make it worth it unless you change your frames all the time.

deadkenny
    Free Member

ultimateweevil – Member
    I wouldn’t try the DIY route personally as you could ruin the frame if you fit it incorrectly and the cost of a headset press doesn’t make it worth it unless you change your frames all the time.

At least if you make a mistake, it’s your mistake and you aren’t dealing with issues as a result of gorilla handed Saturday job kid in the shop 😉

I prefer to know the job was done properly and to correct torques/spec/etc. Rare I’ll mess it up, but I do take a long time to do it as I triple check any work I do to make sure I’m doing it right. Also the tools I have are suited for my kit, rather than some shops that may be used to particular kit, yours is slightly different and they make do/bodge with what they’ve got, or end up having to order in parts or tools at extra cost and delay.

Headset press can be obtained cheap enough. Think mine was not much more than the fitting costs being quoted here and I’ve used it a couple of times now in 5 years for headsets, once to replace a headset, another when I was building up a new frame. Plus have used it to press hub bearings a few times too.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Headset fitting cost?’ is closed to new replies.