Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Headset cup removal
  • chvck
    Free Member

How do people remove headset cups without using the bike shop? I’ve seen a tool but there is no way I’m paying 35 quid for it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Long bit of metal of some sort – bish bash bosh – its out.

Jammy111
    Free Member

tbh you are best off getting your bike shop to do it. It will only cost a fiver or so and gets rid of the risk of flaring your headtube, which means the frame is a write off. You can buy a tool like this- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10223 which will also do the job but wont let you install cups.

The main question you have to ask yourself is how often you will be removing/installing headsets. If you are going to be doing it more than four or five times, the you would be better off buying the headset press. If its just going to be once or twice, get your lbs to do it.

mefty
    Free Member

I made a headset remover out of an old seat tube with a broken clamp using the method shown here

jond
    Free Member

A half ally handlebar works well too – use the wider end against the headcup. Actually easier than the ‘rocket’ tool, tried using that on a more stubborn cup on one bike and couldn’t shift it, h/bar worked a treat. Just use it carefully and work around the circumference.

mrmo
    Free Member

one thing to bear in mind is that some bikes have internally butted headtubes, so you spend ten minutes beating crap out of the tool you are trying to get the cup out with. wondering just how the hell they put the cup in.

You go away calm down and then come back and have a look, you notice that the internal butt is now heavily dented, scratched, and generally mashed up. and the headset cup still looks shiny.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and gets rid of the risk of flaring your headtube

if you are an orc…

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

chVck, we have ridden together before so i guess you aren’t too far from me in Epsom. Bring it round to my place and i will remove it for you (and fit a new one if you have it)

chvck
    Free Member

Hi MTB_Idle, I’m no longer down south as I was only about for an industrial placement; back in wales/west mids now! Thanks for the offer though :), also cheers for the advice all!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

aaahhh! wondered why we hadn’t seen you again, thought we had scared you off 😉

GolfChick
    Free Member

i bought the ice tools version of the remover for £13 from cyclestore close to me… so far been used 4 times so it has already paid for itself.

foxyrider
    Free Member

i bought the ice tools version of the remover for £13 from cyclestore close to me… so far been used 4 times so it has already paid for itself.

I agree got the park tools one for my B’day for £20 and removed replaced my heatset, my wifes headsets and removed 2 of my friends heatsets so you will use it and lasts for ever IMHO 😉

allyharp

I just tapped round the edges with a flat screwdriver. Seemed to work okay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Headset cup removal’ is closed to new replies.