Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Headset confusion :/
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

This is melting my brain everso slightly…

I know there are loads of threads about this cos I’ve found them – but I’m still confused!

Being a dedicated follower of fashion and not at all behind the times I’ve just bought myself a 2010 Spesh SX (not Trail) with a tapered headtube, & some straight 1 1/8 Lyriks; the top headset cup is easy-peasy (“normal” in my world), but the bottom not so much.

I got the straight steerer forks as I believe I can use a zero-stack bottom cup, thus maximising the potential travel available that an external (normal) one would reduce slightly (uturn forks, so easy to find the sweet-spot). I’m not sure whether this is correct, however, as I don’t recall the bottom of the HT having a recess for the cup to sit in (the frame is at the LBS being faced) Am I getting mixed-up with integral/integrated here and integral (the type I think I need) doesn’t require a recess?

I *think* I need a ZS49/30 – or maybe a ZS49/40 with a reducer for future use if I ever have tapered forks. Not sure Hope do ZS49/40?? And it would be nice if it were Hope, but I can live with FSA 🙂

Ta.

Mackem

I’d just confirm the fitting you need and ask Hope.
    http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPE-HEADSET-FITTING-CHART.pdf

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’d look at that and ask here – which is what I did :mrgreen:

Edit: This on e is even more helpful, but somehow I still don’t quite get it 🙂
    http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocketman
    Free Member

Straight steerer you’re looking at something that ends in 30. 30mm is a bit bigger than 1.125″ cos the crown race needs to be a tight fit innit

The other half of the equation is the ID of your Spesh headtube at the bottom. If it’s 49 or 44 you need a ZS49 or 44/30. If it’s 55 or 56 there aren’t any Hope 55/30s or 56/30s so it’ll have to be a 55 or 56/40 with the reducer

ZS49/40s do exist (FSA/FireEye) but they’re pure evil – 40 mm steerer inside a 49 mm headtube doesn’t leave much room for the bearings. Hope’s EC49/40 is an animal with huge bearings highly recommended

HTH

RobHilton
    Free Member

Cheers rocketman – that helps a lot 🙂 Have ordered a couple & if they don’t do it then at least I’ll know what the answer is as there’ll only be one alternative left 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Headset confusion :/’ is closed to new replies.