Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Headset cap missing?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Just got into work and there's a Orbea road bike chained up and it has no cap on top of the stem or even a SFN in the steerer.

Is running a stem without a headset cap ok or rather unsafe?

clubber
    Free Member

No, not unsafe at all. The cap is only for tensioning the headset. Once the stem is clamped the top cap serves no purpose other than making it look neat (and maybe preventing you core sampling yourself if you fall on it!)

Pook

it's ok in theory as long as the cap was there when the steerer/forks etc were put in; to tighten up the whole assembly.

Theoretically, once the stem is on and tight following this compression, you should be able to remove the cap without a problem.

I wouldn't though.

HTH

edit: clubber beat me.

njee20
    Free Member

Headsets do tend to come loose more often if you don't run a SFN, I've often thought about it, particularly with carbon steerers, where the expander plugs can weigh a fair bit. Harder to do though as when you clamp the steerer it gets a lot harder to remove the expander. As this is a road bike, I'm guessing that's what he's done.

With an MTB with a hole in the bottom of the steerer you can tension the headset with a long bolt and some big washers, you don't need the SFN at all.

Edit: clubber AND pook beat me, giving too much detail!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Weight weenie thing…

clubber
    Free Member

Ultralight alternative to a bung for carbon fork on a road bike – lightweight spoke, cut the head off, twist/loop it round the front brake bolt (inside the steerer) and use a spoke nipple to tighten it at the top (using a normal top cap)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nope – as long as the stem is done up tight 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ran a bike for ages with no top cap. It never came loose at all. if it comes loose then something is very wrong with the clamping of the steerer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

some headsets use a different tensioning method.

or you can add a ring go star to any headset.

oldgit
    Free Member

A favourite of the sorts that like to change their frames paint to save weight 8O.

jond
    Free Member

>Headsets do tend to come loose more often if you don't run a SFN

If that's the case you're not tightening up the stem bolts enough.

>A favourite of the sorts that like to change their frames paint to save weight 8O.

Or possibly :
    a) you don't have a spare one to hand when assembling a bike
    b) someone's nicked it.

simon1975

Just pray you don't crash it during a ride…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Headset cap missing?’ is closed to new replies.