Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • headset bearings in carbon frames
  • MSP

Fitting a fit a new frame where the headset bearings just sit directly against the carbon, wondering if to leave dry, grease or put a bit of carbon paste?

tish
    Free Member

I have always used grease and never had an issue in mine.
    Edit that’s with hope pick and mix.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

grease here too

MSP

Hope pick and mix have bearing cups, in this case the cups are the carbon frame.

Mowgli
    Free Member

You don’t want the bearing moving relative to the frame so I wouldn’t grease it. I left mine dry. Carbon paste might not be a bad idea if you have some handy.

tish
    Free Member

Hope pick and mix have bearing cups, in this case the cups are the carbon frame
    Sorry I read it wrong that’s why I stuck the edit in

Stevelol
    Free Member

Don’t use friction paste unless you never want to remove the bearing….

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

You don’t want the bearing moving relative to the frame so I wouldn’t grease it. I left mine dry. Carbon paste might not be a bad idea if you have some handy.

it won’t move, there will be a lot less friction in the bearing than the mating surface even when greased

Kuco

Asked bike shop the other day about this and they said lightly grease it.

sillyoldman

Always grease as it prolongs bearing life.

Some greases may be bad for the Carbon/resin mix, but Park for example state that their’s is fine to use on carbon.

Poopscoop

I emailed YT about this scenario and they said to use a carbon friendly grease.

timba
    Free Member

Suitable grease; stops corrosion between the frame and cups (see any number of stuck seatpost threads)
    Edit: just re-read the OP, non-stainless bearings will rust, and any type will have a galvanic reaction with CF in time so I would still grease

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘headset bearings in carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.