Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Headset advice, On One fatty/ smoothy mixer content.
  • twoniner
    Free Member

Since getting my On One Fatty I’ve had issues with the headset being loose and generally rough.

I swapped the forks from the standard OO fatty forks to the Carver O Beast Carbon forks and it seemed better.

last week I dropped the forks out to clean and re-grease the bearings but the bottom bearing fell apart on me spilling bearings all over.

This is my question, when the lower bearing sits on the crown race I take it should sit on the flat part of the crown race with the raised lip inside the inner edge of the bearing?

This is the crown race and below the inner ring of the bearing.

This is a short clip of the bearing sitting on the crown race, it doesn’t sit flush and moves about on the lip.

Click on the photo.

Here you can see the scorched ring around the lip where the bearing has sat.

Is this right? It doesn’t look like it to me. I hope I’ve explained myself well enough, Any advice appreciated.

Cheers. 🙂

anotherstan
    Free Member

i also have a fatty/ smoothymixer combo, but my bearings are a sealed unit type, not loose.
    from your vid it doesn’t look like the crown race and bearing ring(?) are compatible.

i realise that what i’ve said is of absolutely no help, sorry.

on another note, and not to make light of your situation, have the carvers made much difference to the ride? other than the obvious weight reduction. tried to buy some on thursday but sideways had sold the last set that morning! next batch mid november 🙁

twoniner
    Free Member

Looking at it, it didnt seem like they were compatible but I’m not sure.

Its gone in now to get a Hope headset fitted.

The carvers do feel a bit different, just take a bit of getting used to. Initially they feel like they want to oversteer but after a few good rides you get to grips with it. The original OO forks are just a tad slacker.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Headset advice, On One fatty/ smoothy mixer content.’ is closed to new replies.