Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Headset adjusting
  • PJay
    Free Member

It turns out I’ve had a slight knocking in the upper cup of my headset (found by a bike shop mechanic). Apparently it was fairly minimal and probably not enough to cause any harm but I’m a bit annoyed as I thought I was okay at adjusting them (although it’s a relatively new build and the headset might have settle over time with riding).

I’ve always used the standard “apply front brake and rock the bike” approach to taking out play but do struggle when any play or knocking is minimal, telling it from a bit of play in the fork bushing or perhaps pads moving slightly in the front brake calliper

The mechanic today put his knee against the wheel and pulled against the seattube which isn’t something I’d seen before.

I was wondering what the best approach is for picking up slight play in a headset.

scotroutes

Sometimes you can actually see movement in the headset components.

Another approach is to turn the bars/wheel 90 degrees and then try rocking the bike back and forth

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll give that a go.

rocketman
    Free Member

Or brakes off and front wheel against a wall

blahblahblah
    Free Member

I hold my finger across the gap at the top of the headset, between the cup and the cover. Then I rock the front wheel. You can easily feel any movement on your finger this way.

PJay
    Free Member

Some good ideas, thank you. I’m just a bit miffed has it’s knocked my confidence after thinking that I’d set it up properly myself (although the headset may have seated and slackened off slightly over time).

Hopefully no harm done to the headtube as it was only a tiny knock.

bigyinn
    Free Member

blahblahblah – Member

I hold my finger across the gap at the top of the headset, between the cup and the cover. Then I rock the front wheel. You can easily feel any movement on your finger this way.
    This.
    @ the OP, don’t beat yourself up about it. Things settle, expand and contract so i usually expect to adjust my headset a couple of times before its play free post installation.
    You’ll do less harm by having it slightly loose than too tight.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Headset adjusting’ is closed to new replies.