Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Heads up- Easy Jet T&Cs change
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Searched but couldn't find anything on this.

The infamous Section 10 has been changed and now your total baggage including the bike is 32kg, as shown in the link below.

Thought you'd best all know before you fly for the summer.

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html

beej

Been that way for at least since March when I flew – but good to remind people anyway. OK if you've got a light xc bike, tricky if you've got something bigger. I always load my hand luggage with all the heavy stuff.

nickegg
    Free Member

That was in the T&C's last year. Thats not recent although it does say that excess weight charges can now be applied to sporting goods which wasn't always the case.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks luke. thats an arse 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is the rule I fell foul of in 2008. For some reason they didn't really notice it at Gatwick; my excess baggage charge was £25. But on the way back, the Nazis at Geneva Airport slugged me for £180 to get my bike back.

To be fair it was my DH bike and it weighed 32kg on its own (the bike plus bag, not the bike on its own!)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm sure that wasn't the case when I booked my flights a couple of months back. PANTS!

nickegg
    Free Member

Scrap what i just said…scroll down to the bottom of section 10 and it still says Bicycles are exempt from excess baggage charges!

Onzadog
    Free Member

So now I shouldn't be pooing my pants?

nickegg
    Free Member

No need to change your pants…unless your bike weighs 50kg or more (not likely) in which case they won't even accept it!

EDIT: Geetee..Did you get a refund? Your bike would have been exempt from any charges.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Phew, thought I was going to have to take the hardtail!

nickegg
    Free Member

Sorry…just re-read it and the maximum weight of any single item is 32kg! God it gets confusing!

tragically1969
    Free Member

This gets fone every month, should be a sticky…..

No one piece of luggage is to be over 32kg, bicycles are exempt from excess baggage charges, thats all there is to know.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

confused.

i thought the implication was that the bike could weigh upto 32kg, but any additional checked baggage cannot take the total checked in baggage over 32kg also?

i wish they could make it simple 🙁

nickegg
    Free Member

I shall be doing exactly what i did last year, that is all i can say!

Onzadog
    Free Member

anyone know exactly which bits to print out and highlight for the check in staff?

tragically1969
    Free Member

At the bottom of section 10:

(1) Carriage of bicycles:

The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag
    Only one bicycle per bicycle box or bag will be permitted
    No other items can be carried in the bicycle box (i.e. clothing)
    The handlebars must be flush with the frame
    The pedals must be flush against the frame or removed

Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

but does that really cover it? i thought the issue was with the combined weight of all baggage, not just the bike?

i'm sure i'll also just do the same as last year though… 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

EDIT: Geetee..Did you get a refund? Your bike would have been exempt from any charges.

OK this is really bad **** news! The miserable c**ts at Geneva airport; robbing thieving **** wan**ers; they should all be tried at the Hague and sentenced to have their genetalia removed with rusty cheese wire and then nailed to the front of the airport until so fetid they cause a f****ing public health scare and cause the place to closed and bulldozed.

Nazis the coc*ing lot of them!

No I didn't get a refund. I argued the point with them and they turned around to me and said I could please myself but my bike wasn't going anywhere until I paid them £180.

Rant Over.

Carry on.

FuzzyWuzzy

The only slightly confusing part IMO is the bike fee allows you a 32kg item and the hold fee allows you a 20kg item, however there's an overall limit of 50kg per passenger so personally I wouldn't push the individual item limits or you might need to ditch 2kg of stuff at the airport if they do check the combined the weights (they didn't seem to when I flew with them last year but then I was a few kg under on both the bike and bag).

The key part to show easyJet staff if you do get any hassle is the specific bike exclusions at the bottom of section 10

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The way I read it, was you can have 1 piece at a maximum 32kg- IE yer Bike( Only paying for the Bike… not 20kgs +12kgs)

And 1 other piece of baggage at 20kgs…

When I flew to the Alps thats what happened for me with BMI.

They charged me £17 for my bike to fly..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Geetee – if you have a recipt for the excess charges then get on to easyjet head office and complain – IIRC Cynic al did this and got his money back but you would have to ask him for details

swavis

"Sporting equipment
    Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs"

Simple enough, what's not to get?

singlespeedstu

Teetoo has it right.

32kg for bike 20kg for another bag.

Total of 52kg.

Just used Easy Jet and my bike was 31kg and the bag 17kg no problems at all.

geetee1972
    Free Member

TJ that's really kind of you to point out but this was actually three years ago come to think of it. I was so sore that I ended up driving there in 2008.

But forewarned is forearmed and this year I won't taking any of there nonsense.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Heads up- Easy Jet T&Cs change’ is closed to new replies.