Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Headphones advice please?
  • andypandy85
    Free Member

Evening all. I very rarely have the need to use headphones or earphones so make do with cheap and cheerful when I need to. However, I shall be away with work for a few months shortly with not much else to do but listen to music, watch films, and read. So I’m looking to get some half decent headphones, not earphones as I find them uncomfortable. Don’t want to spend silly money, maybe £50? Any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

jkomo

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/akg-k451
    I’ve used a pair like this everyday (not
    really everyday, maybe 4 times a week) at the gym for the last 3 years.
    I love em.

CountZero

Might be worth checking these Sony’s out: http://direct.asda.com/Sony-MDR-V150—headphones/000524886,default,pd.html
    They’re only £15, so ideal for what you want, and not too heartbreaking if they eventually break, although you’ve got two-year guarantee through the EU anyway.
    Caveat: I’ve not tried these, but Sony kit is usually pretty dependable.

wiggles
    Free Member

I have sony ones similar to the link above are a few levels higher i think but were only about £25 in a sale and work fine, not amazing but won’t be too bothered if I lose/break them like my last snazzy seinheiser ones…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t assume Sony are good for headphones, especially not cheap ones.

If you don’t want iem type phones then these Koss phones sound really good and are cheap, although not the most robust of builds:

Their sportapro phones sound about as good, but the portapro ones have way too much bass, even though they get lots of good reviews (from obviously cloth-eared punters).

I have had several sets of those ksc75s and it takes quite a lot of hifi to sound better.

The upper bass is a little warm and bloomy, but on a way that doesn’t remove clarity but makes you want to listen to more music.

The portapros are probably similar units but because they push them into your ears more the bass is very over done.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Ive got a couple of pairs of relatively expensive headphones, (akg550, shure se535)and I also have a set of skull candy hesh. Paid about 30 quid for them and they sound perfectly acceptable direct from an idevice.

Can wear them for a few hours before it gets too sweaty. Pop along to any pcworld/currys and plug in. you may well be pleasantly surprised.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

PX 100’s were always ace. Within budget too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have some px100s as well, and the koss’s sound nicer, maybe slightly less accurate but much more endearing, in the same way that a tube amp often sounds much more endearing than a solid state amp.

I also listen to shure se535s for most of the working day, for a baseline.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

said it before ill say it again… URBAN EARS PLATTAN

convert

In true STW fashion, a recommendation above budget!

Can I recommend the Bluedio R+ headphones – can be had for £72 from Amazon. Big over ear style headphones with bluetooth capability. For me the bluetooth makes so much difference- being able to move around without cables is great. Audiophiles might scoff but these sound significantly better than previous bluetooth I’ve used. A bit base heavy, but I think it sounds not half bad. The batteries last a full day of use too and very comfortable.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Everyone has the favourites and will recommend them. I use RHA at the minute (great, British, small but pack a punch, 3 yrs guarantee but have required regular cable replacments, which they have provided). but the best I ever owned were Creative Aurvana Live! – bang on the money, amazing really – good definition, immersive – really comfortable for hours – and didn’t skip a beat for about 5 years until I stupidly snapped an earpiece off last yr. Will be buying again. Check out the reviews on popular online stores🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

Sony MDR V55 are very good for £50

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Headphones advice please?’ is closed to new replies.