Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Headlight bulb trackworld
  • simmy
    Free Member

Just wondering what the latest ” go to ” replacement bulbs are for the winter ?

They are to go in my Vivaro which I think takes H7 bulbs

Thanks

timber

More often than not, I end up with OSRAM latest, brightest, offering.

superleggero
    Free Member

I’ve been using Osram Nightbreaker H7s for a few years now, and they are noticeably brighter than the old school halogen types, and produce a whiter light. The only downside I’ve noticed – apart from the cost – is that they have a shorter life.

P20

Ring Xenon Max in my vivaro. I’ve used them on a few cars. The best balance of light/lifespan/price in my experience. I think they’re H4, (old shape van)

simmy
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Has anyone used the uprated bulbs from Halfords, either their own brand, or the GE ones ?

Cheers

fisha
    Free Member

They are ok, but as above the Philips or osrams are a little bit better.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Philips ones from ECP were ace on my old van, need to get new ones for the caddy. I’ll edit with the model.

Edit – Philips racing vision.

matt_outandabout

My Galaxy came with a spare set of Halfords ‘all weather’ bulbs in the glove box. When existing bulbs popped (both on same journey…) I put them in.
    Odd yellow light/blue twinkle, but oh my word they were ace in rain, fog and snow. Really clear, lack of reflection back etc. It’s the first time I’ve ever had anything other than ‘cheapest on shop shelf’ bulbs.
    That said, they slowly lost performance over time, and couldn’t find them, so whacked in a more expensive ‘normal’ set (Phillips?) And they are uber white.

Northwind

I’ve always just thrown nightbreakers into my cars. Their burn life isn’t as good as standard ones (because they’re hotter) but ime they’re more vibration resistant which can counter that a lot (they last better than anything else I used in the motorbike frinstance)

jam-bo

Getting my headlights polished made more of a difference.

popstar
    Free Member

If one wants to learn the most geeky stuff, one should head here … https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Apparently its all about quality LED stuff if you don’t want to go HID route.

popstar
    Free Member

H7 Bulb upgrade, it costs top dollar and it gives top dollar perfomance … no Halfords car park specials down there.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/led-bulbs/h7-morimoto-2stroke-51623.html

I’ve used them for HID conversion, and their customer service + warranty support is second to none (replaced ballasts after warranty run out after 2 years).

My next car deffinately will go LED upgrade route, as its easiest and faff free.

demelitia
    Free Member

I put Osram Nightbreakers in my dads old Passat, replacing the 1 candle power things that came in it. Like night and day, heh.
    When one went (I want to say it was about 18 months or so, don’t quote me) I replaced them both with Phillips Racing Vision; Very, very bright for halogen bulbs.
    I’d reccomend those and a spare in the glovebox. They burn hotter but with a reduced lifetime.

teasel
    Free Member

Philips White Vision in mine for the last 18 months. Again, much better than whatever was in there when I bought it and the light is slightly whiter. Not blue like some of those weird things you see driving towards you but a nice temperature – around 4200k.

I like ’em so far. Noticeable difference when fitted but who knows when the old bulbs were last changed.

hot_fiat

Phillips or Osram Nightbreakers as above. You can eeek our a little more longevity by using the motorcycle versions (night racer?) as they have additional filament supports, or just stronger filaments.

Obviously if money no object, then PIAA.

nickhit3
    Free Member

or the GE ones

Never had an issue with the GE ones.

is there really such a thing as ‘winter’ lights? Do ppl really go to the bother of changing to brighter bulbs in the winter?

grtdkad

I’ve just bought a pair of GE +130 bulbs from Halfords…
    Two-for-one offer so paid £35 for the pair. Certainly appear brighter than the set they replaced.
    Happy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got Nighbreakers in my main and Halfords heavy duty in the dipped as nightbreakers were both expensive and short lived as I’m one of those people in the habit of getting in the car and turning the lights on even in summer.

Don’t really see the point of putting them in the dipped beams, they can’t show up any more road because the reflectors is pointing them down!

And +1 for polishing the lense, my plastic ones are sandblasted to almost milk-bottle opacity after 100,000 miles, t-cut and a rotary tool does an OK job.

is there really such a thing as ‘winter’ lights?

Yes, bulbs are rated by colour temperature, cooler temperatures have a yellow hue, hotter ones are white or even blue. Some people prefer different temperatures.

Do ppl really go to the bother of changing to brighter bulbs in the winter?

No, but arguably if you need new bulbs better ones are of more use in winter.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Headlight bulb trackworld’ is closed to new replies.