Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Heading to Afan next Friday for the first time – some quick questions
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

Going to take the flux up there next friday for a giggle.

Am thinking about kicking off with the W2 trail and maybe starting off from Glyncorrwg rather than Afan.

will be there for the full day (we will arrive at about 9am) so could squeeze something else in later in the day (but I doubt we will have the energy for the Skyline too?!).

Any recommendations on how to plan it best?

Also… What does it cost to use the trails, and are there parking charges too? (need to plan on how much cash to bring with me).

Cheers

z1ppy

Am thinking about kicking off with the W2 trail and maybe starting off from Glyncorrwg rather than Afan.

only ‘down’ side of this is that it put you at the afan centre for your break/lunch.. I’ve always found that place to be very average service/food wise (them closing early, after I promised my g/f cake after Penhydd, was not impressive). That said I believe the Glyncorrwg cafe is only running a basic service but I’d still use that than Afan.

will be there for the full day, so could squeeze something else in later in the day

If you can manage it, do the White’s climb again, get to the top and turn right up the fire road to join the final Skyline decent. Or even just the first half, they use for ‘short’ demo runs.

What does it cost to use the trails, and are there parking charges too?

Just parking fee’s, couple of quid @ Glyncorrwg, probably the same @ Afan but I alway use the free car park down by the bridge.

clubber
    Free Member

Just to say, don’t think your bike’s safe either if it’s in your car or just because you’re at a bike centre – there have been lots of thefts and car doors have even been bent open to get at the contents (eg bikes) overnight…

Trails are free. Parking is a couple of quid IIRC.

Keva
    Free Member

only ‘down’ side of this is that it put you at the afan centre for your break/lunch..

he might wanna ride it all in one go, that’s the way I do it too.

Kev

Metanick
    Free Member

I was at Afan last Friday (13th) and did W2. Two of the last sections of White’s were closed for felling, Goodwood and Darkside. The detour involves climbing back up to the top of the black section, then a long fireroad traverse to get to Perigrine Ridge (part of Skyline) for the decent back down to Glyncorrwg Ponds.

It didn’t spoil the ride for me, but it would have been handy to known before setting out. I think these sections are only closed during the week then open on the weekend, plus they may have finished this work before your visit, either way its worth double checking on the mbwales website.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Heading to Afan next Friday for the first time – some quick questions’ is closed to new replies.