Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Heading south from edinburgh?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Right, if all goes to plan, Ill be driving dwon from Edinburgh to N Wales tomorrow, hopefully around 10am (Friday).

Now, I know the weather hasnt exactly been atrocious, but its still bad enough to cause jams etc etc

So, any particular routes any of you would recommend/avoid? Any roads I should avoid or aim for?

I have GPS btw.

Ta, Duane 🙂

Davy
    Free Member

I'd avoid going over Carter Bar if I were you. Head over to the M6 instead. From what the hysterical news reporters are saying, it's mostly affecting the east side of the country, so go that way to avoid getting stuck behind people who can't drive in anything other than perfect road conditions. 🙄

robgarrioch

I'd stick to well used roads in these temps – A702 to Biggar / Motorway. Normally I'd take the A701, but it'll be treacherous at Moffat & best avoided. Then just the M6, as you like it!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

It might be quicker to head along the M8 and down the M74 and avoid the A702/A701, the roads south of edinburgh this morning were pretty sketchy, not much snow, but what was there was frozen hard.

Doug

hels
    Free Member

Roads were fine this morning in the Borders, the Council are very on top of the gritting in these parts, although there was some crazy white van driving going on.

I tend to stay off the big motorways in this kind of weather the M8 is bad enough in good conditions, if there is an incident you get stuck and can't turn around, and there are more numpties that don't get the concept of increasing stopping distance for the conditions. Biggar road/M74 would be my choice, Moffat road bit too high will be icey.

Smee
    Free Member

I too would go for the Biggar/M74 option.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Heading south from edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.