Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Heading North this weekend (Scotland) – bad idea?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Looks like the weather is a bit poor up in Scotland at the moment? My wife and I are/were planning on driving up to Edinburgh tomorrow and then exploring the region till Monday, heading back down to London on Tuesday… would this be a slightly bad idea now? Was hoping to drive to Fort William then across to Inverness and back down to Edinburgh as part of this trip…

All reports from locals appreciated 🙂

afrothunder88

Highly interested in this also, was planning to go to Glentress/Inners on Sunday from Northumberland but the A7 and A68 are both closed due to snow.

This might help psychle: http://trafficscotland.org/weather/index.aspx

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can't tell you what it's like out at glentress/inners but the east side does seem to be forecast heavy snow. Over in Glasgow it's just a bit wet and windy.

psychle
    Free Member

Does Edinburgh get much snow?

trail_rat
    Free Member

smee text me this morning from walkerburn – that is glentress/inners to you and me – ie about 40 miles from edinburgh .

no power – no driving anywhere

Aberdeen is locked in from north and south on the a90 with police saying 4x4s only and a96 at huntly is just impassible – according to radio.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ediburgh normally gets naff all snow.. However its actually snowing here right now – totally unheard of! ( not sticking in leith but a bit on the higher ground)

The weather forecast is pretty poor as well for the weekend – It might not be the best time to visit if you want to pursuade your missus to move north.

Have a look at the live eye view from the link above – its the traffic cameras and those that are working show a lot of snow.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I'm sat 'working' from home in Galashiels today as the A68 south was shut at Carter Bar. Snow falling but pretty wet slushy stuff, been falling heavy on higher ground. My colleague has just driven from edinburgh to ayrshire with no problem.

Its meant to stop snowing this afternoon and I don't think whats has fallen will hang about for long, should be fine to drive to Edinburgh tomorrow, especially if you stay off the high ground (A1 hasn't closed yet, so will be OK tomorrow)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

At least you'll avoid the out-of-season midges (also known as "molgrips's")…

IA

You can't get into edinburgh from the south at the mo, policemen in pennicuik turning folk back trying to head into edinburgh. I'm working at home, but the office pretty empty apparently…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don't think the roads will be any issue tomorrow – I just think it will be foul weather all weekend.

psychle
    Free Member

Yeah, I think it's more the shitty weather that's going to be an issue, but then it seems it'll be the same all over the UK really… maybe we should change plans and head over the Channel for a bit of Frenchie action…

chriswilk
    Free Member

IA – are you in Penicuik?
    I just got out this morning at 7am before all the numpties got in their cars.
    Thinking about heading home soon – what's it like?

The schools are closed and my wife says there's approaching 10 inches of snow now.

stanfree
    Free Member

Tandem Jeremy heres a nice wee photo of Leith Docks for you from yesterday , and its not any better today.

Seriously OP , I wouldnt bother heading up to this neck of the woods as its miserable.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

just started snowing in glasgow, looks like it might stay, north of perth is a bad idea unless you want to go skiing

the roads will be fine its just the drifts that you need to watch

organic355
    Free Member

Theres flutters of snow here in Dundee, but its not settling. Its bloody wild and windy though. trees down all over the place!!!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm at the edge of the Pentlands on the outskirts of Edinburgh and we must have had 6 inches of snow overnight. It's still lying at the moment, which means the Pentlands might be tricky. If the Glentress area has had a similar amount of snow overnight then it could be a few days before the higher bits are decent again.

chriswilk
    Free Member

epicsteve

I'm guessing GT has had more with the A7, A68, A701, A702 and A703 all closed.

Penicuik has about 10 inches now and that's half way there and only at 250m. Top of Spooky wood is ~500m and top of the black is 600m

Macavity
    Free Member

Flooding on most roads will be a problem, and a killer if it freezes.

psychle
    Free Member

bugger… so heading North isn't a good idea, unless we want to have a few days of wet and wild weather, or to check out some snow 🙂

What to do then… 🙁

metalheart
    Free Member

check out http://trafficscotland.org/currentincidents/index.aspx

currently heaps of roads closed.

and its still snowing…

hels
    Free Member

I'm in Peebles and epic snow here. Just made it home last night, had to turn back on the Auchendinny road after numpties blocked it and spin my way through the back roads of Penicuik, it's still snowing and a good 50cm already in my back patio.

A703, 701, 702 closed not sure about A72. I am sure they will get the snow ploughs out, but if the snow is this deep in the town it will be wheel height up the hill. I'd head south ! I hear Wales is nice…

(And boo sniff my wee motorbike fell over in the wind last night, and of course hit the neighbours brand new fancy van. Must get a house with a garage.)

epicsteve
    Free Member

There is still plenty to do in Edinburgh even if the snow stays, however heading north might be problematic.

One of my work colleagues is heading out tomorrow for a cycling tour in the Outer Hebrides…

clareymorris

We are heading up to Dunkeld tomorrow morning from Penrith…….from what I can gather the A9 is passable at the point. I think we will have to keep and eye on the conditions overnight and maybe ask some of you local guys from an update in the morning!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member

One of my work colleagues is heading out tomorrow for a cycling tour in the Outer Hebrides..

Oops – I hope is is planning to go with the wind 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member
    epicsteve
    Free Member

Oops – I hope is is planning to go with the wind

She's going to be heading into the wind a fair bit I think. Their route is:
    Train to Mallaig then cycle to Uig, ferry to Lochmaddy, cycle down the Uists and Benbecula then ferry to Barra, cycle to Castlebay, ferry to Oban then train home.

I reckon Mallaig to Uig would be pretty tough in current conditions!

I've loaned out one of my bikes to her friend so I'm hoping it doesn't suffer too much.

trekaddict
    Free Member

was planning to go up to whinlatter Good friday but looking at the weather Im gonna head on out to settle.

Calderdales MTB CommunityCalderdale Mountain Bike community

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not looking like a good day to travel by train to inverness!

druidh
    Free Member

I did my Hebrides tour South-to-North to take advantage of the prevailing winds.

Of course, we had a headwind all week.

user-removed
    Free Member

Driving to Skye in a few hours time – stopping to pick up a passenger in Edinburgh. Should be interesting. Anyone around Perth way know what the A9 looks like?

druidh
    Free Member

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

druidh, what are the roads round your way like? can't decide between going out for a run or a quick blast on the a70 (but worried about snowy roads)

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and the A87 at Cluanie

druidh
    Free Member

DBGOAB – I've been at home all day and the street are still 4-5" deep in places. However, the main roads should all be clear. My only concern is that they'll be a bit "narrower" than usual due to ploughed snow. That might make for some interesting overtaking….

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

hmm, thanks. might just stick to a run on the canal as there's no snow there…

psychle
    Free Member

in Edinburgh now 🙂 hopefully heading North tomorrow, weather looks pretty good really, thankfully! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice one! Hope it stays good for you.

druidh
    Free Member

Stunning evening in the Burg actually…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clear skys here.

Whats the snow like your way druidh? Is it below freezing?

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Whats the snow like your way druidh? Is it below freezing?

Obviously – otherwise it would be called water 🙄

I reckon we've still got 5-6" in places. My wife reckons it's nearer 2".

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Heading North this weekend (Scotland) – bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.