Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Head Tube Badge – what glue or adhesive?
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

Just refitting the head tube badge to my Nomad after a major rebuild and wondering what adhesive would work for the soft aluminium badge to bond to the gloss paint? There’s not a lot of surface area as it is cut out inside the outline to show the frame paintwork through it.

Thanks Guy n Gals 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Superglue, preferably the thick gel stuff that doesn’t run.

1) Test an inconspicuous area of the paint with acetone to make sure it won’t dissolve.

2) Glue badge on

3) Wipe off exces glue with a cotton-bud soaked in acetone (hence point 1)

4) When you next get it re-sprayed, get a liter of acetone off ebay and soak the badge off.

mildbore

Dunno what will work, watching replies with interest. I can tell you superglue won’t because I tried that a few years ago to refit the head badge on my Superlight, it just fell off. Badge still in my toolbox ready for another go

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Always worked for me? Maybe it depends on the paint.

There’s always the nuclear option:
    http://www.diy.com/departments/evo-stik-rapid-epoxy-glue-25ml/214135_BQ.prd

You can wipe uncured excess eopxy off with acetone, but once it’s set it’s never coming off again.

cyclelife
    Free Member

The glue that was on there originally seemed very sticky (no surprises there then!) like a contact adhesive of some sort?

Was going to try and cut out a very thin outline of the badge in double sided tape, not sure the effort will be worth it?

rocketman
    Free Member

Used thin layer of clear bathroom sealant on my cut-out Commencal badge

The tenacious adhesive combined with mild flexibility kept it in place

jonnym92

Automotive foam perhaps? Restuck the badges on my car back on with some.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

the only time i’ve had to do it is when i replaced a giant one on my son’s road bike. this was concave on the back so superglue wouldn’t have bridged the space between the badge and the frame.

I cut some pads like these to the right shapes and it worked a treat sticky pad things

i guess strong double sided tape would also work if the badge is flat on the back

warpcow
    Free Member

adjustablewench – Member
    the only time i’ve had to do it is when i replaced a giant one on my son’s road bike. this was concave on the back so superglue wouldn’t have bridged the space between the badge and the frame.

I cut some pads like these to the right shapes and it worked a treat sticky pad things

The same stuff has been holding the badge on my hardtail for about 4yrs now without issue.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Cheers Guys! Will give the number plate tape a whirl.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Head Tube Badge – what glue or adhesive?’ is closed to new replies.