Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Head torch for running in t'woods
  • Harry_the_Spider

What’s good, taking into consideration that I am a tight bastard?

wwaswas

Just carry a spare pair of handlebars with your normal bike lights attached.

core

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=lenser+head&x=-547&y=-46

Have got the H3, good light, runs on AAA batteries, but at that price rechargable probably only comes in the form of ‘cheapo chinese jobbies’………..

miketually
    Free Member

Alpkit?

29erKeith
    Free Member

lenser h7 is good, £35, bright, light, comfy, adjustable power and beam pattern takes 3 x AAA’s
    lasts about 3 hours with Duracell’s and 2 with recharagables

29erKeith
    Free Member
    stever
    Free Member

Alpkit Gamma for nice package, bright enough for non-technical running.
    Cree for heavier, bright enough to frighten monsters, slightly less tested.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lumens-Headlamp-Headlight-18650-Torch/dp/B007Y2PXKY

tonyd

Interesting thread, I’ve been considering one of these myself of late. I always found Petzl to be very good lights, but that was for general walking/camping for the most part. This one appears to be OK for trail running, reviews are good:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/petzl-tikka-xp-2-head-torch/

40 smackers though, how tight is tight OP?

CraigW
    Free Member

In my experience, the Tikka can bounce about a bit when running, because all of the weight is at the front. Better to use something with the battery pack at the pack.

I like the Petzl Myo RXP. It has the batteries at the back and a strap over the top, so pretty stable for running. And its quite a bit brighter than the Tikka XP2. Though not cheap (about £60).

ross980
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use a Gamma in the woods (unless they’re well defined trails with no trip hazards). Lenser H7 is much brighter, but is not as comfortable as the Gamma and would benefit from a strap over the top of the head (imho).
    Great service from Led Lenser too, recently sent my P7 off with a dodgy switch (it was 3 years old), for a brand new torch body back with a week.

CountZero

Check out the Fenix HP30, 500 lumen, with a 900 lumen burst mode, and four general modes, uses two 18650 Li-ion cells in a waist-or-pocket mounted pack, to keep the headset light. not cheap at $80, or thereabouts, but a very neat and bright set-up. not got a link handy here, just look on the Fenix Store.

ross980
    Free Member

Personally I really like the look of the Silva head torches with Li-ion batteries. Not cheap though

You could just get a fake/replica unbranded H7 from DX etc. Yours for $12.

somouk
    Free Member

Have a word with Mark from MTBBatteries. He has a new unit out that’s tiny and gives amazing power for strapping to your head.

tonyd

OP, what do you use when night riding? Just thought, if you use a joystick or similar they come with headbands.

derek_starship
    Free Member

how tight is tight OP?

Think 0.05mm feeler gauge….

And that would be an interference fit 😆

failedengineer

Alpkit one is really comfortable and is fine if it’s not too technical. Batteries last about 5 hours, too. I bought one of those DX ones too. Brighter, but nowhere near as comfortable.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks people and Derek.

Cracked open my daughter’s piggy bank and spunked a whopping £15 on the Alpkit one.

Travis

I recently used a Black Diamond Storm during the night on my trail runs through woods and over Hilly terrain.
    The depth and spread was very good, and didn’t really flatten out the terrain that much, as I didn’t trip over any roots.

Saying that, for my next race, I’ve changed over to Silva, as I need something with a longer run time (up to 10 hours)

davetrave
    Free Member

Most of the FRA mob swear by the Lenser H7, or knock off copies, some go for the Silva Trail Runner (or Mk 2 version). I was feeling flush over Christmas whilst in the market for a new torch for fell running and went for the new Petzl Tikka RXP, which is the 215 lumen reactive light. Used it last night for first time for a test run in the local woods and it’s really good, the reactive thing just works, draws out battery power quite well & the combo flood & spot beams are just right, the headband’s not bad either.

Not cheap mind – RRP’s £90 but shop around and you’ll find them with 10% off…

timnoyce
    Free Member

I use an Alpkit one for night time trail running and it is great. The red rear light is also useful if you have to take a road section as it makes you a bit more visible. I normally just use the main beam on low and it seems bright enough. Also handy to carry in your pack when riding as a spare, had to finish a loop around Penmachno in the dark last week using it after my bar lamp died in the rain.

Travis

This fell runner chap has some reviews.
    Test to Destruction

My link is via S.Korea, hope you get it okay, but if you google Test to Destruction Blog you should find it okay.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Scotroutes (druid) did a big thread on this a while ago.

Bregante

It might be a bit far fetched o.p but have you considered perhaps taking your bike? Maybe on a Monday? Starting and finishing at a local hostelry?

Just a suggestion. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

It might be a bit far fetched o.p but have you considered perhaps taking your bike? Maybe on a Monday? Starting and finishing at a local hostelry?

We need to start the Monday Night Club up again.

Bregante

Cracking idea. Wish I’d thought of it myself.

Harry_the_Spider

Ordered the Alpkit one and it arrived today.

First impressions are that it is well made, comfortable and chuffing bright.

£15 well spent.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I lost my old Petzl one a while ago and replaced with tikka xp. Disappointed with the light for running. I have already his one whole that didnt show up. I will be getting a better one asap.

Fine for walking etc.

alaslas
    Free Member

Join the alpkit club! They’re ace.

scotroutes

As Al says, I was looking into this recently. I got a lot of hood advice off here and plumped for the H7. Superb result. Even on low power it is better than the Petal I was using before plus it is a lot more stable.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I’ve used an alpkit gamma for my winter running through fields / woods etc and never had a problem. Feels ok on the head and is the brightest torch I’ve used for a while. I’m happy with it.

Harry_the_Spider

What are the 3 little LEDs for? Mine don’t appear to be doing anything.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Keep pressing the on off button and keeping it pressed for varying times. You can have your own little disco 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    What are the 3 little LEDs for? Mine don’t appear to be doing anything.
    POSTED 20 MINUTES AGO #

Yeah, from memory, hold the button for a while, and the LEDs come on. They’re good for not blinding the kids in the tent.

Mine has a red light on the back too.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

Worked it out about a nanosecond after sending a “It’s broken” email to Alpkit. 😳

alaslas
    Free Member

They must receive hundreds per week! Seem to remember instructions being online but none posted out with the unit.

stever
    Free Member

Just back from a run with mine. Nobody ran me over, good result.
    This is what I used my red light for…

Frodsham hill lights by steverile, on Flickr

CountZero

Stever, great photo!

stever
    Free Member

Thanks boss!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Head torch for running in t'woods’ is closed to new replies.