Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Head Torch advice
  • taka
    Free Member

I need a head torch for hiking, it may be used for some riding but not a lot. There are so many to choose from I have no idea where to start.

It needs to be bright, weather proof, long lasting and about £50

Fire away

Cheers

falkirk-mark

Petzl tikka xp

Stoner
    Free Member

Alpkit Gamma <£20, better than other brands at more than £40, like petzl.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Petzl Myo XP – brighter than the Tikka and utterly brilliant. I use one for Winter trail running. Batteries last yonks too.

Check ebay – got mine for well under £RRP (about £45) brand new.

Drac

Alpkit one is superb.

highclimber
    Free Member

+1 for Myo Xp, get the p2 version if you can as there were a issues with the earlier models when using rechargeable batteries.

Shakey
    Free Member

Have bought a number of the Gamma for myself and family and they are great.
    Less money than a Petzl but not as good quality – well worth the saving though as their customer service is excellent.

Cougar

Big fan of Led Lenser myself, they do a couple for not much money.

Not tried the Alpkit but am very curious – it's usually very good stuff.

fadda

Alpkit gamma. Buy 3 and still have change from your £50!

Seriously, used mine walking up Snowdon at 2:30am a couple of weeks ago, it proved itself good enough…

Jamie
    Free Member

It needs to be bright, weather proof, long lasting and about £50

3 Alpkit Gammas.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I've got one of these Fenix HP10 It's as bright as you'll get for £50, much much brighter than the equiv. priced Petzl, Black Diamond, Silva etc etc, it uses the most up to date Cree XR-E LED technology (unlike the others which all use old technology). If max brightness is what you want, then this is the one to go for. However, the trade off, it needs a larger battery pack than the others, so is a bit heavier. So, you need to think about what's more important. I can vouch for the website aswell, fenixtorch.co.uk.

I'm in Bingley BTW, if you want a test.

nickc

£50 on a head torch. Tell you what give me £50 I'll find you a head torch, and I get to keep the change right?

Here's a clue, get one right that has an adjustable head band that'll fit your head, turn it on, and put your hand in front of it. If your hand's lit up, you're good to go…

higgo
    Free Member

If anyone knows where my Alpkit Gamma is, can you let me know.

:glum:

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've just ordered 10 Petzl Tikka XP Atex for work, glad I'm not paying for them 🙄

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The Led Lenser gets good reports from the sea angling community & when your'e fishing off the end of a pier at 11 at night in January you need to be able to see where you are!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

BA Nana – four AA batteries though – that's going to be one heavy unit.

I'd say the Myo (170g including three AAA batteries) is as heavy as I'd want to hike/run with.

I had a cheapo Tesco headtorch for running – first run and I almost fell of a small cliff and ran into a tree – realised cheap isn't always best after that!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

BA Nana – four AA batteries though – that's going to be one heavy unit.

Yes, when compared to LED headtorches which give only around 80 lumens ie Petzl, Alpkit etc. BTW I also have an Alpkit for certain uses when I want lightweight. Not heavy, when compared to the old Petzl Zoom (and the like) which everyone had only a few years ago, which took that big car battery type thing.
    Tom specified "It needs to be bright, weather proof, long lasting and about £50".
    Bright- Tick tick tick
    Weatherproof- tick
    long lasting – tick
    £50 – tick
    8)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Myo XP is 85 lumens on high mode (which I usually use) and 150 on boost – unless you run at some loony pace, that's plenty! Mine's survived all kinds of abuse and is very weather resistant.

So it also fits the brief, albeit with a less sore neck and for less money 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

And the Fenix is 120 lumens on high mode and 225 on boost, I guess there is a decision to be made between weight, brightness and run times, getting the right balance for what your requirements are.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Just replaced a Black Diamond one which had a faulty switch with an Alpkit Gamma.

Baulked at the £50 replacement cost of the BD torch, though I was concerned that the Alpkit one might be a case of YGWYPF.

It was delivered today and first impressions are very favourable. Much smaller and lighter than I'd imagined (125g inc. batteries on the kitchen scales), build quality looks pretty good, versatile range of modes, excellent "brake light" function, rubber seal on battery compartment.

Still to perform a light test, but looks like cracking value for £12.50

(This from a self-confessed gear snob!)

brassneck

Alpkit, it rocks. Duracells from Poundland and you're set for months for £20 🙂

Plenty of light to run in and I've used it as a get me home light on a bike as it's easy to stick in a pocket.

Ti29er
    Free Member

If it's to be used around the campsite and on the bike too, then Tescos do one that's a exact copy of a £30 Petzel one that retails for about £6. I have several for my helmet and for trekking.

A complete no-brainer!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

My Tika XP was plenty bright enough to get me down through the Lost Valley from Bidean nam Ban with snow and ice everywhere. Can't see why you would want anything brighter. Batteries seem to last well and its pretty indestructible

Drac

If anyone knows where my Alpkit Gamma is, can you let me know

I think it's **** off on holiday with mine.

allthepies
    Free Member

(Alpkit Gamma)++

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Alpkit Gamma – Very compact and bright enough to run on moorland in the dark. Rear red LED which is an added bonus too!

taka
    Free Member

cheers everyone,

Gone for the….. (drum roll) Petzl myo xp

I might get an Alpkit Gamma though just for the sake of it at their price

Jamie
    Free Member

I don't know why we bother….. 😈

thegreatape
    Free Member

I've got a Petzl Tikka xp2 and an Alpkit Gamma.

The petzl is noticeably better (brightness and beam spread), but 4x better, not sure.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cheers everyone,

Splendid choice! 😀

Marin
    Free Member

Alpkit is well worth it. Used it for winter climbing, the flashing red back unit is good for the person behind. If it stops flashing the battery ran out or the leader fell off a cliff!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Head Torch advice’ is closed to new replies.