Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Head or heart … motorcycle content
  • Aus
    Free Member

Looking to change my bike. My riding is predominately a straightforward, short commute, with occasional longer (50-100 mile) round trips for work. Very seldom do I go out to play on it! Having a top box / carrying capability is essential.

Used to ride GPZ900R’s 10+ years ago (incl. a tour of NZ) and found a gorgeous one, lovely condition … bringing back fond memories of good times, so am very tempted … although fitting a top box v tricky and realistically, it’s a classic being used for bog standard riding, all year.

On the flip side, looked at BMW650GS as seems a great work horse, economical, good luggage, mild fun and if commuting into and around London, prob ideal. Good for all year.

So head says BMW, and heart says GPZ. Price is about the same for each. How to decide (beyond just sticking with my current bike!)?

kilo

if it’s in good nick go for the gpz (always fancied one)if it doesn’t work out you won’t loose much if anything and you can always find another bmw 650

klumpy
    Free Member

If you bung some dakar style rallye stickers, bash bars, and gnarly “ammo case” panniers on the beemer it might become a little more heart-ish.

A topbox on a GPz900? How could you… 😯

nickf
    Free Member

Remove the rose tints, and try riding a 900R….things have moved on a lot.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BMW no question.

Aus
    Free Member

Both comments exactly my thoughts … GPZ’s seem to be holding value, but a top box on it 😳 but does make daily life much easier!

Pigface
    Free Member

GPZ do a courier special with the top box and just bungy it on 😆

A few people like the GS on here but when I rode one I found it a bit dull.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

This is one of these “Can you go back” moments.

Been thinking the same thing (but not in anyway the same subject) regarding going back to skateboarding. Will it give me the same sense of fun and enjoyment, or at 37 am I likely to waste money and break my neck?

Anyway, back to you. GPZ900R, I used to covet these bikes back when I was a kid

Realistically though, it is now deemed as a classic in a lot of ways. I think for the riding you’re doing it would be fine, and with any bike of that age, looking after it properly is essential. The downside I would foresee is that something like that and in the proper nick I (personally) would want to keep it almost showroom condition only bringing it out on nice days.

The BMW though:

Much newer/capable/less prone to breakdown/more modern bike

I know what you mean though, I would love a Bonneville but I know a Honda makes much more sense, it just doesn’t move me in the same way

Cougar

I’ve ridden a GS, couple of mates have them. I found it a lovely ride, cornered like it was on rails. Though that was compared to my lumpy old CB500.

toys19
    Free Member

A topbox on a GPz900?

My Dads a vet. One client used to bring his Cat into the surgery in a cat basket bungied onto the back of the GPZ900R. Said client was a bit of a headbanger on a bike. Cat was always left for a good few hours before basket was opened.

Aus
    Free Member

Wonder if rose tinted view will ultimately disappoint, esp on a cold wet January on the M25! But there again, bit of romance 😛

donsimon
    Free Member

Remove the rose tints, and try riding a 900R….things have moved on a lot.

+1 and I’d look at a bigger BMW than the 650, unless you’re a shorty of course. 😀

anagallis_arvensis

I would go with the head because even the most boring of bikes are still fun.

I have an F650 single and its great fun at speeds that wont make you loose your license the new F650GS is a 800cc twin and would be even more fun. That pic above is the G650GS which is an updated version of my F650 single. Heated grips and top box and you have an ideal commuting bike. Watch out for the G650GS and its warm starting issues though see http://www.f650.co.uk for more info

anagallis_arvensis

I doubt there is much if any difference between the 650 and 1200gs in terms of standover height.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Test ride is the only answer then choose your compromises. I commute all year round up to 90 miles each way and I would suggest you seriously consider a fair dose of practicality if you will also be out in all seasons.

As an aside, why the GPz900? Is this some Top-Gun fantasy…or was that not a GPz?

donsimon
    Free Member

I doubt there is much if any difference between the 650 and 1200gs in terms of standover height.

To be honest I’ve no idea, but a friend binned the 650 for an 800 and she’s a girlie and the 650 was too girlie for her. 😉

br
    Free Member

A topbox on a GPz900? How could you…

I ran one on a ZX9R (commuted into central London, managed over 50k before selling it on), but then unlike most motorcyclist I actually ride my motorcycle 😕

If you want to use one most days, buy something newer than the GPz900 – take a look at Triumphs, as good as (if not better than) a Beemer and a damn site cheaper, plus British. Did 20k on one last year.

Aus
    Free Member

Thanks all. A GPZ as had several back in the ’90’s touring Europe and New Zealand so fond memories. Then about 10 yrs ago, had an off resulting in a now metal bionic shoulder and back issues. Returned to riding an old ZZR6 which has been great but no real love for it (+ back pain). Thought the BMW would be practical, good for my back and shoulder and do the job. No need any real speed as my riding is pretty calm.

Aus
    Free Member

Liking the triumph thought but Tiger looks overkill, old Dayton looks lovely. Budget prob an issue tho!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

go with your heart esp if you have found a really good condition model. As mentioned before things have moved on ( can you get the parts for servicing, fairing parts etc). There is nothing better to brighten your day than riding in with a smile on your face.My bike isnt ideal for commuting but makes me smile and grin with each corner and straight.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these and, due to the crap weather, the only time I’ve ridden it this year is to and from the MOT last month 😳

bikebouy
    Free Member

What is that???

Nice..

Not really into bikes but the suns out today and suddenly they look rather appealing.

But I’ll stick with my Vespa.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I rode the F650 in NZ for a couple of weeks and hated it. Very shallow head angle and felt like you were sitting on the back wheel, vibey and not much poke either. Recently demoed a F800GS and it’s a totally different animal. More power, better riding position. Felt like I could comfortably bash down across France in a day to the mountains before hooning it though the twistys and then getting it dirty offroad. Don’t know the budget, but give an F800GS a spin. Won’t need to choose between head and heart.

dazz
    Free Member

Go with the bmw, bikes are never the same 2nd time around & you risk spoiling your memories when you realise it was never that good 🙂 The BMW will be better for your back & much better on your commute as you’ll be a bit higher, see more & more importantly stand out more to cagers.

I ride a zx9r for fun & a CCM supermoto for my commute, had more problems with people not seeing me on the niner than on the CCM even though the actual bike is smaller.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ducati 916, so long as the top box is red

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Head or heart … motorcycle content’ is closed to new replies.