Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Head of Met police won't ride in London
  • Flaperon

So the Head of the Metropolitan Police refuses to ride a bike in London because he considers it too dangerous, and the roads policing lead for the National Police Chiefs’ Council won’t do it because “there are too many risks.”

Well then, you incompetent knuckle-dragging over-paid under-worked excuses for human beings, FIX IT. You’re the police, for crying out loud. Make it LESS dangerous by, I dunno, actually prosecuting people who cut up bikes, or shout abuse, or overtake with a gnats dick of room.

The BBC article surprisingly doesn’t manage to go for the “but bikes run red lights” route but it wouldn’t kill the police to perhaps deliver some justice to people to charge through lights on amber or red, or who stop in the bike box (technically running a red, but we don’t see anything done about that).

Here’s the article if you want something to piss you off on Monday morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34604622

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s not the polices job to make the roads safe, that’s the job of the local authority. I don’t like riding in London either and only did the Boris commute on very quiet back streets.

rickmeister

Fixing the problem on the wider perspective includes fixing bike law breakers IMHO. Just cracking down on car drives will I’m sure, highlight transgresions on bikes.

If drives see bikes behaving, attitudes may actually change.

Its an easily trotted out saying but we are all part of the problem and at the same time, all part of the solution….

garage-dweller

Jambalaya you sure about that?

Why do my local force always promote road safety as a big part of every campaign?

Why do all the lectures given to drivers on police, camera, interceptor smash tv focus on the safety of others and the driver?

What is a safety camera partnership?

Roads may be craply designed but safety is ultimately a matter of user behaviour (motorised and not).

Illegal and dangerous use is a matter for policing not the local authority…

The local authority needs to improve design yes but poor design does not have to equate to road deaths.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Don’t blame the police. They’re having their budgets and numbers cut repeatedly and London’s a fairly busy place as far as crime goes. It almost rivals Sandford in the levels of crime.

Tom KP

ahwiles
    Free Member

rickmeister – Member

they really won’t.

nickjb
    Free Member

Don’t blame the police. They’re having their budgets and numbers cut repeatedly

But catching motorists breaking the law is a way of making money. I saw it on top gear.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Fixing the problem on the wider perspective includes fixing bike law breakers IMHO. Just cracking down on car drives will I’m sure, highlight transgresions on bikes.

Its an easily trotted out saying but we are all part of the problem and at the same time, all part of the solution….

Oh, behave.

Look at the casualty stats and give up on the trite soundbites.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of any urban riding, so hats of to all you city commuters not sure I could do it day in day out. Not sure how many police you’d need to deal with all the minor traffic offences and inconsiderate driving you mention !!!! But people are prosecuted for all those things.

crankboy
    Free Member

We are talking about the Met their sole response to cycle deaths has been to target cyclists . Officers were given instructions to issue set numbers of tickets to cyclists at particular junctions. I am reasonably confident that most drivers do not see cyclists as getting away with stuff and therefore decided to drive badly themselves . Most bad drivers drive badly because they are careless and badly trained and can continue to do without real sanction so form the view that bad driving is acceptable .

jimjam
    Free Member

rickmeister – Member

People in cars don’t dislike cyclists because they are law breakers. That’s the excuse they use for bullying people on bikes. They dislike cyclists because they’re not in cars and they act aggressively towards them because they can.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

The only thing that will change drivers attitudes to cyclists is having their kids, wife or other close family member a participating cyclist.
    My opinion anyway.

Bez

The only thing that will change drivers attitudes to cyclists is having their kids, wife or other close family member a participating cyclist.

There’s a good deal of truth in that, which is why we’re stuck in a vicious circle until we get a good amount of high-quality infrastructure.

As for the police, in many ways they’re like an army: directed by political priorities (and democratic demands via PCCs etc) rather than their own autonomy. The Met in particular does have a questionable history of tactics in response to cycling KSIs, though, and while many officers do appear to have the public’s best interests at heart, there’s a great deal of received wisdom that is propagated unchallenged.

Give up now on the idea of “if everyone in bicycles behaves, everyone not on a bicycle will love them”. Two reasons: 1. people on bicycles are people, and as such they will never all behave, and 2. even if they did, people not on bicycles are people, and as such they will never all love everyone. Hopes and dreams of mutual respect (or even just hopes and dreams of an understanding of mutual bad behaviour) are to be filed in the well-stuffed box marked “never going to work”.

ahwiles
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member
    …Not sure how many police you’d need to deal with all the minor traffic offences and inconsiderate driving you mention !!!! But people are occasionally prosecuted for all those things.

every day i see dozens of drivers:

texting
    checking facebook
    speeding
    running red lights
    running red lights whilst speeding and checking facebook
    etc.

never see anything done about it.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think he’s a big sissy.

I love riding in London. Can’t remember the last time I ever felt threatened. More often than not I end up thanking a (usually professional) driver for their consideration. Riding in London has got substantially better over the last 18 years Ive been doing it.

Bez

I guess it’s what you’re used to. I’ve been riding on the road for about 25 years and I won’t ride in London, it’s just horrible.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Why should he have to ride in London? What if he’s not that into bikes? Every decision people take should be based on risk V reward. If your into cycling on roads then whatever the risk is of riding in London (I don’t know as I have never lived there) it may be a risk worth taking. If your not that bothered then maybe you leave it and get on the tube like countless others.

Bez

Why should he have to ride in London? What if he’s not that into bikes?

I can’t recall Hogan-Howe’s exact comments, but Davenport’s clearly relate to the risks rather than to a lack of desire. I don’t think anyone’s asked the police chiefs whether they’d convert their current commuting miles to cycling in the long term, they’ve asked questions that basically amount to whether they’d be prepared to face the risks involved.

It’s not about being “into bikes”. Ask me if I’d be prepared to travel by bus in London and I’d say yes, because I think it’s safe. Would I want to? No, I hate buses. But as a form of transport, it’s something that enables travel for anyone of any age, whether or not they’re “into buses”.

That’s not the case with cycling in London: It enables travel only for the fit, the brave and the reckless.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Yep. And this “wisdom” often stems from an entrenched, narrow and deeply conservative world view.

So the head of the Met won’t ride in London. Of course he won’t. He’s a “normal”. “Normal” people drive cars. Because it’s dangerous on the roads, you know. These bloody cyclists want their heads testing. They get knocked off their bikes, then they expect us to come along and do something about it.

See also:

“Well, you must have been asking for it, love”
    “Oi oi smiler. What are you doing in this fancy motor car, then?”
    “Bunch of unwashed layabouts should put down their placards and go and get a job”

etc

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Riding in central London isn’t so bad so long as you’re reasonably aware of what you’re doing, the dangerous bits are the suburbs where it seems there’s just enough space on the road to allow people to drive like a dicks.

Bez

Yep. And this “wisdom” often stems from an entrenched, narrow and deeply conservative world view.
    (snip)

Yes, partly the narrow perspectives and borderline bigotry; but also the belief that certain interventions make a substantive difference to safety/danger, when there is little or no supporting evidence (or even evidence to the opposite effect); and the focus on (say) casualty rates in ignorance of things like participation rates, losing sight of normalized rates and side effects on health and congestion.

mark88

Why should he have to ride in London? What if he’s not that into bikes? Every decision people take should be based on risk V reward.

Cycling to work shouldn’t be about risk v reward, it’s about feeling safe enough to use a cheap, healthy, congestion free mode of transport. My girlfriend hates getting the tube but for her to cycle to work it would be almost entirely mixed with traffic on busy roads and she doesn’t feel safe enough to do it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Why should he have to ride in London?

I don’t think anyone is saying he has to (although maybe that’s not a bad idea). He says it isn’t safe and I presume that is because of other road users acting dangerously rather than unseen drop-offs without chicken lines. Getting rid of those unsafe road users is part of his job!

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Why should he have to ride in London? What if he’s not that into bikes? Every decision people take should be based on risk V reward.

Cycling shouldn’t be so risky that most people opt out all together.

Or, it shouldn’t be perceived to be so risky.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Getting rid of those unsafe road users is part of his job!

Maybe so but that still doesn’t mean he has to ride if he doesn’t want to does it. It doesn’t say anything quantitatively about the risk involved either.

For example I’m happy to ride down the side of an Alpe as fast as I can or jump out of an aeroplane because I really love it – I’m sure its quite risky. Id also quite like to have a go at track cycling – but not enough to actually do it. I’m sure its less risky but I’m just not as bothered about it…there’s a tiny chance I could brake a wrist but that would stop me mountain biking for ages.

rickmeister

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/358042/rrcgb2013-02.pdf

I have, the trend is decreasing.

Joe

What a baby. I think its shocking that a senior policeman is that risk adverse. I hardly think cycling round London is that shockingly dangerous; 27 years cycling round town, and never had a scrape.

Probably shows why the police are so ludicrously risk adverse.

Bez

Hogan-Howe as quoted by The Times:

“I’ve never been a big bike rider anyway but it seems to be that if you get it wrong, or the driver gets it wrong, the person that’s going to pay is the cyclist. It seems to me that there’s a lot of traffic and personally I wouldn’t [cycle]. Some people, they’ve got limited money and they can’t pay for public transport. I understand why they take the choice. It wouldn’t be mine.”

Mark Treasure covers his comments in more detail.

He’s less explicit than Davenport about it being “too risky”, but I think it’s reasonably clear that his view is that it’s too dangerous for him to choose to cycle: some of his comments are specifically around the hypothetical (for him) scenario of having travel options limited by economic necessity, where he still wouldn’t choose cycling.

It really wasn’t about whether he loves the smell of WD-40 in the morning. It’s about whether he thought it was safe.

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe so but that still doesn’t mean he has to ride if he doesn’t want to does it.

No, of course not. But it does say he knows, or believes it is dangerous, but it is, in part, his job to make it not dangerous.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Of course there is danger – its a capital city
    Perhaps London is less safe than other cities…. Im sure it is but there will always be some danger in a big city. Iv Ridden around Paris – that was a hair raising experience

ahwiles
    Free Member

you seem to be intentionally missing the point…

There’s nothing inherently dangerous about cycling.

Ever been to The Netherlands? (it’s brilliant btw, i can thoroughly recommend it) it’s simply inconceivable that a policeman would say they didn’t feel safe cycling around Rotterdam.

Which, btw, looks like this:

(big, busy, and crowded, despite this, cycling around it is a piece of cake)

if people are scared of cycling in Britain’s cities, it’s a statement about our infrastructure and attitude, not the intrinsic dangers of cycling.

Bez

Of course there is danger – its a capital city
    Perhaps London is less safe than other cities…. Im sure it is but there will always be some danger in a big city. Iv Ridden around Paris – that was a hair raising experience

Paris is, broadly, just another capital city. Try Amsterdam or Copenhagen.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have tried Amsterdam – very pleasant
    London will never be Amsterdam

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/358042/rrcgb2013-02.pdf

I have, the trend is decreasing.

The trend of cyclists being KSI’d on the road? Yes, the data shows a huge decrease from the 1920s, and I’ll bet this is largely due to a decrease in cycling participation, and an increase in traffic management, ie traffic lights etc.

I think the important statistic for our debate is the Contributing Factors table, which shows that most cyclist KSIs happen because ANOTHER road user “failed to look properly”.

Your point about cyclists having to behave better does not address this fact. When people talk about cyclist behaviour as a contributing factor, they are making the mistake of addressing a minor cause of cyclist KSIs, while ignoring the major cause, which is big, heavy vehicles on the roads, being driven by people who don’t always drive with due care.

Bez

Care to justify this commonly-cited canard? Tip: you can avoid wasted effort if you avoid bringing up any of these flawed points:

http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2011/02/all-those-myths-and-excuses-in-one-post.html

ndthornton
    Free Member

Care to justify this commonly-cited canard?

No – but I’ll have you a bet if you like

Bez

No – but I’ll have you a bet if you like

Let’s wind the clock back ten years and have some imaginary bets on the Victoria Embankment being ripped up and half converted to a wide, dedicated cycleway.

(Or let’s wind it back 50 years and take bets on what Amsterdam would be like.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

So the Head of the Metropolitan Police refuses to ride a bike in London because he considers it too dangerous, and the roads policing lead for the National Police Chiefs’ Council won’t do it because “there are too many risks.”

I wouldn’t cycle in town either if I had the use of Private Hire Cabs FOC.. 😆

ndthornton
    Free Member

Sorry I make a rule of never betting against things that have already happened….you nearly had me there you little ripper!

Bez

I’ll refer you back to this post.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Head of Met police won't ride in London’ is closed to new replies.