Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • head angles on your 29ers
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Been riding a ferrous for a while and love it but when mate (who rides a rig) had a shot he didnt like it, felt it was twitchy. While i dont think it's twitchy i dont entirely disagree with him that a slightly slacker headangle would be nice yet when i had a squint at niner, salsa and on-one they were all showing a head angle of bout 72 (ferrous is a bit more than 72) and they were all using normal rake forks. anyone else find 72 a bit steep?

ton

69 degrees on the ventana
    71 degrees on the chumba

martinh
    Free Member

70 on the Jones
    69 on the Banshee

ton

just put a gravity dropper on the ventana, and it feels like a differant bike to be honest.
    being a longish travel full sus 29r, when you are on it you are a fair way off the ground, but with the descender steeps feel like you are a nice bit lower and more planted.

sheldona
    Free Member

I've got a 72 on my 650B, its not twitchy but the steering is quick, absolutly love it!

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

74deg seat and head angle, 51mm rake forks = same trail as a road bike.

Should ride like a pile of **** but actually works amazingly well (good enough its my only bike!)

SSP

fontmoss
    Free Member

74 deg head angle! what the smeg is that?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Designed by Mark Slate from WTB and designer of the WTB Pheonix amongst other things. If it had been anyone else I would have laughed and not bought one!

SSP

Rorschach
    Free Member

72 on the scandal and matching on one fork (48mm rake) feels fine.But then Arris's scandal runs 440mm 35mm rake white bros ,making the head angle nearer 74 and that feels fine too-if not a little small.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sold my Niner's (RIP & SIR) because the HA's were too steep

Now own:

Lenz Behemoth 69.5
    Banshee Paradox 69

These are extreme examples TBH, but Niner's 72 is just too steep.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I also run Gravity Dropper's on both.

These have totally changed my riding

ton

69degrees seems the slackest….
    is there anything slacker???

bonesetter
    Free Member

I don't think there is anything slacker in standard attire

ton

just been looking at the WFO…..(just looking mind)
    it does not tell you what the head angle is on that..

bonesetter
    Free Member

70 @ 140

bonesetter
    Free Member

You'd love the Paradox – massive fun and bargain price

keavo
    Free Member

had an old rig with 71 degree and old reba. have niner with 72 degree and new reba. i much prefer "twitchy" and it sounds like you did until your mate put the doubt in your head.

ton

i thought i would love the chumba………worst frame i have ever owned.
    not thought out at all, clearance issues, cable routing issues, and crap communication from the american side of the company………
    si is a great bloke tho, true to his word….

fontmoss
    Free Member

ive had a couple rigs and loved em, the ferrous has always felt more 'active' at the front than the rig and have always felt its a degree or so away from being ideal. bike whisperer suggested adjusting a reba to 100mm and sticking that on, i think he may be onto something

ton

i like to feel choppered out on my bikes now.
    sits me back a bit, and with being to hefty it stops me feeling like i am gonna go over the bars.

keavo
    Free Member

you could adjust the reba, it won't cost you and can be reversed if you don't like it. got to be worth a try.

si-wilson
    Free Member

i thought i would love the chumba………worst frame i have ever owned.

fair enough

not thought out at all, clearance issues, cable routing issues, and crap communication from the american side of the company………

i know you had issues but to be fair Ton i think the clearance issue (and cable routing to some extent) was due to the tyre and rim choice, which even though the tyre had clearance in the frame it would rub on the front mech, i dont think the frame was designed to be used with a massive tyre and rim combo. The Australia distributor and i both run other combo's just fine.

si is a great bloke tho, true to his word….

Why thank you 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘head angles on your 29ers’ is closed to new replies.