Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • HDMI TO VGA cables…
  • millzy
    Free Member

ok, so where can i get one that will actually work?

i need to connect my mac to the tv (and have the special mac adapter)

but everyone i buy doesn’t work because the digital analogue but isn’t correct or something (I’m clueless) … don’t really want to spend more than about £15 to be honest either…

bluebird
    Free Member

What mac have you got? I don’t think VGA to HDMI will carry sound. You might be better of with a mini display to HDMI cable like this Link

shindiggy
    Free Member

VGA is an analog signal which doesn’t carry sound, HDMI is digital which does carry sound.

You could always try going from HDMI to DVI to VGA, but its likely not going to work.

What inputs does your TV have?

Flaperon

Chances are if your TV has a VGA input it’ll have an HDMI as well. Use that instead.

millzy
    Free Member

The tv has both hdmi /dvi in. And a hdmi slot.

I have a Mac adapter to convert the mini VGA to VGA and a VGA to hdmi cable… But for some reason can’t get it to work?

jota180
    Free Member
    deft
    Free Member

How old is the Mac? My Macbook only does digital out via a DVI adapter

soundninjauk

VGA is an analogue signal that can only be converted to DVI-I. HDMI is just a repackaging of a DVI-D picture signal. That’s why to convert it you need to purchase an actual box to do it rather than just a cable. A quick google gave me this.

spacehopper

you cant use a vga to hdmi cable without a convertor..
    vga=analgoue
    hdmi=digital

convertor boxes are about £70

you could try a vga to dvi cable/convertor.. but it depends if your TV will accept the VGA input through the DVI socket.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Unless it is an old mac (pre 2008 or so), surely what you are calling a ‘mini vga’ is actually a mini-dp?

If so, you want a mini displayport to hdmi adapter that goes straight into the mac and the tv, and don’t want to go to vga. They’re cheap, any old one will do (even the apple one is not ridiculously expensive).

I think you usually have to run sound separately, although on newer computers they can put sound down it.

if it really is an ancient mac, it doesn’t have dvi does it? Some of them had dvi, which is easy to convert to hdmi as well as the vga.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘HDMI TO VGA cables…’ is closed to new replies.