Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • HDMI splitter box thingy
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Just had sky+HD installed. Now the tv only has one HDMI slot and I also have a ps3 plugged into the tv so the sky man said I need an HDMI splitter. Had a look on the internet and no idea what's good or bad.

So I need a box thing that'll plug into the hdmi slot on the tv and I can plug 2 hdmi cables into. From what I've read on some other geek forums is that I don't want one that'll split the signal.

Anyone got any recommendations?

njee20
    Free Member

I may be wrong on this, but…

as HDMI signals are digital, they either get there or they don't, so I'd get the cheapest one possible.

Same with expensive HDMI leads, they're a total waste of money!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Ive got one you can have for a fiver? I think its either four or five inputs. I bought it in when in a similar dilemma to you, but have since upgraded the tv.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not quite true, they need to be good enough to handle the fairly high data rates of HDMI (DVI). It's more about how much of the signal gets there. The quality will degrade to a certain point until it drops off completely.

Digital signals are also quite sensitive to cable impedance and capacitance and switching can effect this.

I don't have much experience of 2 in 1 out switching but some HDMI devices are extremely sensitive as the type of HD output is determined by the receiving devices capabilities.

i'd be perfectly willing to give a cheap one a go though

njee20
    Free Member

Ah well! The One Show lied to me, I feel betrayed.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that irish bird can lie to me all she wants

to be honest in most domestic applications there really aint much in it

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Just a note about Sky+ HD. Awesome picture, like Rush HD channel for extreme sports BUT my box jams or looses receiption whenever i have it set to record something or a reminder set.

I am getting seriously fecked off with it and have been on the phone to sky every night the last week. Phone as soon as something looks odd in case box needs replaced before warranty expires.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Dont want to hijack this thread but i dont want to start another HDMI thread either.

Is it worth connecting my new Xbox to my HD tv with one of these cables. I nearly papped myself when the guy at comet suggested a Monster cable for £40. Some of them were £90!!!!

Will i get any benefit from a samsun HD ready tv?

njee20
    Free Member

Well what The One Show actually tested was the difference with an XBox connected via a £10 HDMI cable and an £80ish cable, to a 42" tv, there was absoultely no perceivable difference.

So… yes you should definitely use an HDMI cable if you're not, but don't bother with an expensive one in this instance.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if it's a short cable then just buy the cheapest that doesn't look like it will fall apart on site. HDMI suffers from longer cable runs (theoretically the maximum is 5m but 10 is easily acheivable)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Its a very short cable required.

Great, £10 cable then

showerman
    Free Member

Got one of these works well, do not like the fact they have reduced it S**********T 1/2 price

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5347153/Trail/searchtext%3EHDMI.htm

Drac

Just a note about Sky+ HD. Awesome picture, like Rush HD channel for extreme sports BUT my box jams or looses receiption whenever i have it set to record something or a reminder set.

Mine freezes when there's lack of space left on the HD, delete some crap and try that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm thats looks like kinds what I'm after showerman. However having read the reviews it looks like either the ps3 or the sky box would have to be switched off for the other to work. Not really ideal.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘HDMI splitter box thingy’ is closed to new replies.