Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • HDMI or optic?
  • benz
    Free Member

Righty,

Sony LCD with Theatre Stand System – RHT-G500.

Got HDMI from DVD and Sky + HD linked to telly.

Optic from telly to the sound system.

Should I also connect via HDMI leads from DVD and Sky + HD? This give better sound then the optic from the telly?

Wondered if the HDMI's to telly then optic from telly to sound system is missing something against HDMI's from the DVD and Sky + to the sound system – where I would select sound system input either satellite or DVD.

Cougar

Chances are, the optical connection on the TV is input only. Even if it's not, I'm fairly sure that it won't do what you think it will.

Can you connect Sky and DVD to the amp for audio and video, and then from the amp to the TV?

benz
    Free Member

On back of telly the optic is digital audio out which goes to TV opt in on the sound system.

The manual does not really indicate which method is best to get best quality sound whilst watching DVD's…but that may just be me…..

Drac

Sky+ optic to sound system.

Cougar

I still think throwing out all the optical stuff and doing everything through the amp is your best option. Put everything over HDMI and use the amp to switch between sources.

As and when you move to Blu-Ray, the optical out's not going to work anyway – it's not capable of carrying the HD audio streams. The TV might downmix if it's got the relevant processing capabilities, but you're compromising the signal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘HDMI or optic?’ is closed to new replies.