Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • HD video editing Mac or PC system?
  • Moonhead
    Free Member

Firstly….if you can be arsed to read this, thank you!!

I have an Imac, 24” 2008 model which is fab but I’m doing more and more video editing for work and it’s a bit out of it’s depth, I have the max 4GB amount of RAM installed.

I’m wondering if anyone in the STW massive does HD video editing and what you use.

Basically I will have to sell my imac to help raise funds whatever I go for but I’m really split between the cheapest 27” i5 model or going for a custom build PC. Both come in at about £1400 (with monitor for the PC).

I know that going to PC will mean using editing software other than Final Cut Pro but I’m not bothered about that as there seem to be a lot of good options in that respect.

The temptation with a PC build is a much better configuration and one that I can update over time. My hesitation with going for a PC is longevity. My current Imac has lasted 3 years without any problems, the OS is stable and it just keeps on truckin! I have always had PC’s until I bought the Mac but they always seem to need more TLC and not one lasted 3 years and had more to give!

I have recently bought an i3 win 7 laptop and it does seem much better than any PC/Microsoft system I have ever used before….hence my thoughts of going back to a powerful desktop PC.

With the PC I could afford to run my OS and apps from an SSD, too expensive with the mac….you think that is worth it alone??

Sorry I have rambled so thanks for reading! Would be really interested to hear about what you use, also if you use PC your preference in pro editing software.

Thanks all MH

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I use a 21.5 and all of my video editing is HD 1080p and soon to upgrade my camera.

I movi is a brilliant piece of software! I would like to soon get final cut pro or after affects to try some stuff with!

I recently sold some of my video footage to sky and IYV as a free lance journalist and I couldn’t of done it without my mac!

True Grit was editied on a mac with final cut pro!

A mess about clip for my local mountain bike club:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/212802/

Do you really feel you have moved past the computer powers?

I opted for the higher spec 21.5 i,ac as the 27” is just to big and killed my eyes!

mboy
    Free Member

Combine the beat of both worlds

Build a Hackintosh

Seriously though, these days it’s a highly viable alternative. Backup the data to a second HD constantly just in case, but you should be doing this anyway. It will allow you to in the fastest processors, most amount of RAM you can, excellent dedicated graphics cards whilst still being able to run Apple Software.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

A PC will mean more bang for your buck, but an apple will use it’s bangs better… I’m sure you’re well aware of the conundrum…

kawato
    Free Member

I had the same problem a little while ago and opted for PC for the very reasons you mentioned. However, i lower speccced Mac (in a direct hardware comparison with powerful PC might well use its available power more efficiently than a PC if you are using Apple software such as FinalCut etc. I have a Dell 8GB with an i7 dualcore processor and its superfast, however it really dpends what you are editing. I use Sony Vegas Pro 11 and use Adobe After Effects a lot and some of the clips i render are 11 secs long but 4gb in size due to the complex rendering invloved – meaning that unless you have a super powerful machine, most will lag a bit whilst rendering. If you are sticking with basic editing of HD footage (1080p) then any recent iMAC you go for will be fine!

MrSmith
    Free Member

sure you can’t fit 8gb of ram? 4 gb might be the official limit but 8gb should fit?
    im now using a current model macbookpro and the new processors with final cutpro-X means im working on native HD footage with no need for generating a proxy. and only wait a few seconds for a re-time or grade to render.
    the software/hardware integration is very well executed.
    when thunderbolt drives become available an external SSD will speed things up even more.

if it’s for paying jobs the pc/mac price difference is probably one invoice, worth paying for the ease of use and less hassle imho.

Cougar

I don’t think there’s a “wrong” answer here, which ever you go far.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘HD video editing Mac or PC system?’ is closed to new replies.