Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • HD telly…Freeview HD or Freesat HD?
  • rockhopper70

Looking at replacing the old CRT monster and we get a freeview HD signal here. What should I go for…and don’t suggest 3D…I like to stay two technology generations behind!

ton

humax freesat hd is a better, more reliable picture source than freeview.

rockhopper70

is that a dish job?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grim168
    Free Member

We bought a panasonic with freeview hd built in a few months ago. The signal where we live is good (preston). There are only 3 channels at the moment, BBC, ITV and ch4. Picture is great on some stuff but not everything.

ton

tis indeed.
    you can buy it all from me at trade price too.

rockhopper70

how much are we looking at for all the gear…
    just looking for tellys

ton

hd, or hd pvr?

rockhopper70

pvr would be good I suppose.
    i have a top up telly thomson box at the moment and it’s v handy.

ton

£220+vat

that is for
    humax foxsat pvr
    sky mini dish
    sky quad lnb

rockhopper70

ok..cheers for that…I will get back to you if I decide to splash the cash

nickjb
    Free Member

HD is a bit limited at the moment, 3 channels on freeview and 2 on freesat. Its great for nature stuff and sport, though. Should be more coming but already worthwhile IMHO. Freeview is simpler if you have a good signal, freesat is the only option if you don’t. There are other sources that some boxes/TVs do to such as iPlayer, youTube, USB stick.

Marko

Can’t comment on the HD, but we have a Humax Freesat PVR box here, hooked up to an existing Sky dish. Works fine with loads of useless channels though.
    Nice advantage is that you can get all the BBC variations. Just seen that there is a good climbing programme on BBC Scotland on the 19th, so I can watch that. Not possible with Freeview.

We do have a bit of a ‘buzz’ on sound though. Not sure what causes this, though I suspect it may be a poor connection – suggestions welcome, as a trawl of the net has failed to provide an answer.

Hth
    Marko

jwt
    Free Member

I’d go for freesat rather than freeview, signal tends to vary more with freeview, and i keep getting Harleck from wales, rather than winter hill, which is annoying……..

simoncb1
    Free Member

One difference worth pointing out is that freesat has better red button function for sport, etc. For example, Wimbledon on freeview is very limited, usually one alternative match (on 301) whereas there are 4 or 5 matches to view on freesat, like Virgin cable.

The Humax freesat box is great and I used it to set up the dish as it shows the signal strength, too. My mother-in law has the freesat pvr which gives her everything she wants including sub titles. Setting up a dish is not that difficult either.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘HD telly…Freeview HD or Freesat HD?’ is closed to new replies.