Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • HD Cameras
  • stusummerside
    Free Member

Im thinking about saving my pennies to buy a Contour or GO PRO HD camera for mountain biking has anybody used either cameras ?

Highland28
    Free Member

I have a Go Pro 960 HD, bought it from Jenson USA as it was much cheaper even with counting the Taxes, it seems to a very good camera, sorry don’t have any video put together to show the stuff i have done. Mainly had it mounted on my chest with the video flipped (camera upside down) while we were out in Les Gets during the summer. The only problem with this specific model is that you can’t use the Bacpac however i didn’t really have much of a problem once i had found the correct camera angle.
    The picture quality was great. And with so many different mounts i will be able to use it for skiing/boarding, windsurfing etc.

stusummerside
    Free Member

Thanks mate iv seen some video footage of the GO PRO and was thinking about getting one but just watched a bit of footage of the contourROAM camera on the pinkbikes website and it looks pretty amazing

willard

Got a Contour 1080p here. Nice little camera if you don’t want to get wet a lot.

I bought it for cycling and skiing, so no problems with that, but if I want to use it for kayaking, I need to use the (optional) waterproof case for it.

GoPro makes sense if you want a single camera for _everything_ and don’t mind a silver box sticking out the side of your head for some sports.

stusummerside
    Free Member

I only mountain bike so the contour will be fine how do you know your getting a clear view as you cant see the pic infront of you ?

Milkie
    Free Member

I use both, I have the ContourGPS, friend has the GoPro, both have advantages and disadvantages. Main advantage the GoPro has is you can mount it on your chest.

Contour has GPS, so you can add your speed, map and things to your video, also edit the settings via your mobile phone, and preview the live feed. This does eat batteries, but thats fine, as they are a Nokia battery, about £8 each.

GoPro you can chest mount, I love the view! If you want chest mount, then GoPro it is..

If you do go for a Contour, go for Contour+, 170° viewing angle and has the GPS and bluetooth. I have used mine in the rain its been fine.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYaJ-tiRJ2k[/video]
    Here’s my test footage of my GPS/speed/track overlay, with the right software, you can create custom dials/maps etc. I use DashWare & Premiere Pro.

Drac

I only mountain bike so the contour will be fine how do you know your getting a clear view as you cant see the pic infront of you ?

Smart phone app and it let’s you make adjustments on the fly.

The new Contour Roam is waterproof for 1m too without any gubbins.

stusummerside
    Free Member

Thankyou very much for all your info much appreciated

ampthill

probaly best i don’t get a camera which wil ley you see how slow and unfit I am

Northwind

stusummerside – Member

In practice it’s just not a problem, you spend a couple of attempts getting used to it and thereafter you know where to point it.

Gopro is still the default option IMO, the new Contour stuff is very clever (and no doubt Gopro will copy it soon) but nobody else has an answer for Gopro’s packaging as yet, it’s just a far better proposition for mounting in most locations.

Also, past experience has proved Contour to be utter c***s… As just about everyone who bought a generation one Vholdr found out. “Yes, we’ve released a revised version of the firmware which fixes all these bugs. No, you can’t have it. Buy a new camera”

madden96
    Free Member

GoPros are really good and i think it makes biking alot better and funner, i have a GoPro Hero Wide SD, but im selling that for cheap and upgrading to the HD Version.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘HD Cameras’ is closed to new replies.