Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Hazzah – DrP's "Brighton-London-Brighton" gravel ride is a go go… 9/9/17..
  • flange
    Free Member

Ok cool, thank you – will check with the boss tonight, may do the first half to Londres then ride back to Tunbridge wells…

DrP

flange – if you’re doing the first half (road) then a roadie bike will be fine..i think TimP (no relation) is joining us for some of the road..

send me an email (address in profile) and i’ll ping you my mobile number in case of running late..

And of course, I’ll have my trusty dynamo hub for phone carging duties en route, as always!

DrP

tobymc

Try and hide your disappointment – I’m going to give this a miss….
    The excuses are too boring and numerous to list here.
    Look forward to the post ride report – hope you have a great day!

DrP

Hmm… so the local and ‘en route’ weather HAS and will be, for the mild forseeable; terrible…

The road aspect won’t be too bad, but the off road jaunt will now be a horrible boggy mess….
    Looking out my window now i’m filled with dissapoint at the bloody British ‘summer’..

Myself and Pictonroad have been what’sapping, and amidst the unimpressive genital photos he’s been sending me we’ve come to the conclusion that PROBABLY this isn’t the best idea… 165miles soaked and with gritty buttocks, for ‘fun’, probably won’t be fun…

Also..it looks like it’s just us two doing it anyway…

Hmm…will make a final call over the next few hours..

DrP

tobymc

Well, if you do postpone, id still be interested in the re-scheduled event…

MarcSussex
    Free Member

BBC forecast looks ok for tommorrow?

I was going to join you guys at the pier, but then peel off at Nutfield (Marsh) and take NCN 21 back via Horley, Crawley, Horsham picking up Downs Link at Copsale. 85 ish miles if you fancy a shorter route?

DrP

Marc.. replied…

Hmm..
    BBC weather for Guildford tomorrow suggests rain from 1500 – the evening… right as we’d be hitting the downs link..
    Earlier rain for clapham too…

XC weather is pretty damming too 🙁

DrP

nedrapier

This doesn’t look so bad – 1.2mm an hour isn’t a huge amount of rain, and if that’s as heavy as it gets… ?

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Cranleigh/hour_by_hour.html

DrP

hmm.. OK, I’m trying to convince Pictonroad that we just stick to plan, but accept that if the winging gets too much we call it a day!

DrP

nedrapier

Good luck on all counts – riding, rain and whinging.

A short spike of rain like that might miss you altogether anyway. I wouldn’t can a ride on that basis. Wish I could join you for a slice. Have “fun”!

pictonroad

I’m calling it off.

I’m no fair weather Southern nancy (I rode this year’s Pivot 12hr race 😯 ) but I don’t fancy it.

It’s not the weather, it’s the route South, the tracks will be soaked, boggy and very muddy. We occasionally forget this biking lark is meant to be fun. It is a pleasant enough ride when it’s dry and packed and you can fly along. It will be 6 hours of muddy spray, puddles and much tougher going.

Not for me, another time, another day, but not now. Nothing lost, the countryside will still be there.

James

DrP

Ok, agreed. Even if it’s NOT actually raining on us, the ground will be horrible..

It’s a shame, but a decision needs to be made…

James and I will be riding (on road!) to Eastbourne 7 sisters cafe for food, then back again….
    It’ll be dry, sunny, no breeze….

Likely to be at Brighton pier at about 0745 if there’s any takers for that….

Sorry lads and lasses – I agree with James – I LOVE this ride, and would rather ‘let it go’ and do it in nice weather (with more available participation!) – maybe March next year (it’s my burfday in march doncahknow)….

Sorry folks….

You wouldn’t want my entheusiasm soaked and sodden!

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Best call I reckon.. sad as it maybe.

Pissing down and windy just down the coast from you now with no break in the clouds.. and very wet.. you’ll forgive me because I’ve just washed my car .. 😐

TimP
    Free Member

Eastbourne and back is about 50odd miles isn’t it? Think I could probably squeeze all that in before my curfew of 12:30?

DrP

was going to message you Tim…
    likely be at the pier at 0745..join us, I reckon you’ll be back for then, us a bit later…

DrP

pictonroad

We will miss off the descent/climb to Eastbourne and stop for coffee at Birling Gap. 12:30 will be spot on.

Always good to ride through Peacehaven to see what life will be like after Brexit.

nedrapier

it’s the route South, the tracks will be soaked, boggy and very muddy.

Fair enough. It’s a lot easier to chuck around glib reassurances when you’re not doing the ride.

do it in nice weather (with more available participation!) – maybe March next year (it’s my burfday in march doncahknow)….

Mine too!

Although I did a slice from Weybridge this March and it was bloody horrible. If it’s a dry March, I’ll be keen!

Yak

Hmmm, bookmarks thread and will review fitness c. march time before anything as foolish as putting my hand up for such an outing. Also notes DrP’s pace – worrying.

DrP

Also notes DrP’s pace – worrying.

I class myself as an ‘easy going cyclist’….you ride at the group pace (unless it’s a race..)
    Hey, I even went for a ride with my daughter along the (dry) downslink last week and she kept up..

Really this ride isn’t a race – yeah we don’t go at a snails pace, but the average speed is failry slow TBH! It’s a good socail ride with chatting, cafe stops, snacks, photos etc etc…

Come along Yak – if you can race the BMs you’ll be fine!

DrP

Yak

Ok – interested! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

^^Carrying a selfie stick on the bike? 😆

TimP
    Free Member

Also looks like someone’s been using Watchfinder…

DrP

Dez..it was a family bike ride chap!
    I also had:
    -snacks
    -travel potty
    -bunny
    -Bing
    -Pando
    -welly boots

And a wife and son also in tow 😉

DrP

Rubber_Buccaneer

Also notes DrP’s pace – worrying.

You know the P in DrP stands for pain right? Cos pain is what you will be feeling plenty of before the ride is over 😈

tobymc

Ill be even fatter and weaker by march….. can do in a passat?

pictonroad

Well, that wasn’t bad at all. 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

#nofilter 😆

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Hazzah – DrP's "Brighton-London-Brighton" gravel ride is a go go… 9/9/17..’ is closed to new replies.