Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hayfield to Marple via Roman Lakes
  • selaciosa
    Free Member

Planning out a ride for tomorrow – can anyone help with the best route to link between Hayfield and Marple with least amount of road as poss?
    Thanks

crazy-legs

Sett Valley Trail then canal towpath from New Mills. But dull though. You could always go over Rowarth if you want to add distance / time / climbing.

jools182
    Free Member

Along the Sett Valley trail to New Mills, then from the centre of New Mills when you get to the mini roundabout at the top of the high street head out on the road towards Marple but only for about 50 yards.

Then take the right hand fork up the steep Road past the park on the left.

After a climb take the next Street on the left past some houses then on to a single track Road. Stay on this until you see a track on the right, it’s big enough for a car but only a Land Rover would get up it.

Carry on until you come to a t junction, turn left on the single track Road. It winds right then left up a bit of a climb. At the stables on your left, take the farm track to your left, slight climb until a square left onto another farm track.

Climb up this, then on the descent keep straight across the track that crosses it. You’ll then see a bit of singletrack in front of you, go down the steep descent, through the woods and down some long steps. When you come out onto another singletrack road you can turn right which takes you past the golf course and down to Roman lakes, or carry straight on, then right at the t junction, then left down some singletrack, it takes you through some woods and when you meet the other bit of singletrack at the bottom turn right and follow it around to the lakes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jools182
    Free Member

I was supposed to say turn up the land rover track

If you get to the pub and little village you’ve gone too far

Also if you want a more direct but boring route, miss the right turn up the land rover track, turn left just before the pub, down the rough track, under the railway bridge, turn right after the few houses down a farm track, immediately after the farm, go through the gate on the left and just follow this singletrack and that will eventually cone out at roman lakes

monksie
    Free Member

20 Trees, Shooting Cabins,, Middle Moor, across the road and onto either i) Robin Hood’s Picking Rods, Mellor Church, Mellor Cross, Roman Lakes or ii) Lantern Pike, Pennine Bridleway, Rowarth, Golf Course, Fox Inn, Roman Lakes. Longer than other’s suggestions but much more fun and very legal.
    I’m out that way tomorrow. Try not to knock me off of my Cannondale Flash.

BadlyWiredDog

Or over the top of Chinley Churn, across New Mills to the Fox, down the obvious downhill to Strines, right up the climb at the bottom of the cobbles, across the bridge, left past the farm on the very obvious bridleway and all the way along to Roman Lakes. But I prefer Monksie’s version. SVT is dullsville… 😉

jools182
    Free Member

I always used Sett Valley trail as a warm up

BadlyWiredDog

I guess it depends on whether the OP wants to go by the most convenient route or take in some decent riding en route.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hayfield to Marple via Roman Lakes’ is closed to new replies.