Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hayes FX9 Brakes – Bleeding Problem
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

Got my rear brake installed thanks to help on here.

Bled it according to manufaturer's instructions – rotate bike so nipple on caliper is vertical, rotate lever/master reservoir so it's at highest point, open bleed hole and nipple whilst forcing fluid under pressure into nipple.

Worked Ok.

Rode bike and after a bit of use the lever just comes back to the bars.

Repeated bleed, same results. Repeated twice more – same again.

Should I try the method of bleeding I would do with a motorcycle – open the master reservoir and continually top it up with fluid as I pump the lever for pressure and open/close the nipple on the caliper to get rid of the air?

walla24
    Free Member

No. I used to bleed the 'motorcycycle' way but its not as effective in my opinion.

Re-bleed as before but:

as you go, flick the hoses and tap the caliper/lever to move on the air bubbles.

Do you have a hose or something attached at the lever bleed hole?

If yes, push thru fluid till no more bubbles come out, then (with fluid visible in the pipe @ bleed hole) close off the lower bleed nipple (on caliper) and pull on the lever sharply a number of times.
    Bubbles will exit the lever.
    As the bubbles leave, fluid will need to take its place so either ensure there is still fluid @ the bleed hole or push thru some more from the bottom.

Thats what helped me out anyways.
    Let me know how it goes.

p.s also !make sure the pistons in the calliper are pushed back all the way before you start!

thepodge
    Free Member

anyone know what size the caliper bleeder nut is?

my spanners only go down to 8mm and i don't want to round it of with an adjustable

Del

Del

6mm iirc

thepodge
    Free Member

yep its 6, tried measuring it but my ruler's markings are hardly the most acurate

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Oops – forgot to answer.

Cheers Walla – worked a treat. All sorted now 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hayes FX9 Brakes – Bleeding Problem’ is closed to new replies.