Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hayes Disc Brake Advice Please
  • grantus
    Free Member

I acquired a set of Hayes Stroker Ryde brakes a couple of years ago minus the hose connections.

I am now getting round to putting them together and checking what I need.

Firstly, are all hydraulic hoses a universal diamter? The hoses I have are Hope hoses, not Hayes ones. Does this make a difference in the type of compression fittings I need?

I see that CRC have the brass olive/compression fittings for Hayes brakes. I reckon I need four of these.

Is this the same thing as referred to on the Hayes website as ‘Hose insert/compression fitting’?

Secondly, what are the hose nuts? Do these screw into the cylinder and calliper and the olive then is screwed in turn inside these?

Thirdly, according to the Hayes website I will need 2 nose cones (the calliper end doesn’t need one – is this correct?)so only one for each cable/cylinder junction?

Finally, is it easy enough to put it all together? (I got a bleed kit from the fella who sold me the brakes so just need some fluid and away we go)

Sorry if obvious questions but don’t want to buy the wrong things or have to buy full Hayes hose kits.

RustyMac

Not all hoses have the same inner and outer diamiter. i do not know if the hayes bits will fit a hope hose but it may be worth a punt as they are not too expesive. Also if they do not fit they will be usefull spares to have and you can then go and buy the full hose kits.

Looks like for the Stroker ryde breaks you need 2x brass olives and 2 x compression nuts per break hose.

fitting will be:

slide compression nut onto hose with threaded side towards hose end
    push brass olive into hose
    offer hose up to lever or caliper
    slide compression nut over the olive and tighten into lever or caliper insuring hose and olive are pushed fully home at all times.

This is how i fitted the hose to my HFX 9 brakes, I have not had or used Sroker Ryde brakes, just seen pictures so please do not take this as gospel.

grantus
    Free Member

Ok cheers, so did you not bother with nose cones but it still worked ok?

RustyMac

Nose cone is non essential, just a rubber boot to help prevent the compression nut corroding.

If you want to put this on then put it on the hose first before the compression nut, it will then slide up over the tightened nut to protect it.

RustyMac

I would also recommend getting hold of a crows foot adapter for tightening the compression nut, the one in the following pic is from an avid bleed kit and it will fit the nut.

http://www.togoparts.com/items/view_item.php?iid=11091&did=0&cid=45

i don’t know where you could buy one seperately but try and borrow one if you can, they help as the nut ia a little fragile.

grantus
    Free Member

OK, thanks again mate

RustyMac

no problem, good luck

Let me know how you get on

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hayes Disc Brake Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.