Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • hayes brakes – how dead are mine likely to be
  • turin
    Free Member

hi,

Looking for a bit of advice on a hayes brake calliper. I lent my bike to a friend and got it back today after a few months. When i pulled the rear brake leaver it went straight to the bar, i heard the noise of fluid squelching out.

On looking closer at the brakes i noticed that the allen screws holding the two parts of the calliper housing together had worked loose. The paint on the callipers is badly corroded and brake fluid everywhere.

Im guessing the pads are goosed, there was loads of gunge in and around the pistons. Ive cleaned it off as best as i Can and put the calliper housing back together.

The two halves dont quite seem to meet as expected.

Are my brakes knackered? If its unlikely then Ill get the bleed kit and give it a shot. If they are past it ill have to get some new ones 🙁

cheers

stucol
    Free Member

Could be corrosion between the two halves of the calliper which is causing the fit problem.

Or the o-ring seal between them is not seated correctly. If it is deformed you will need a new one.

Did your pal have the calliper apart as the bolts are normally in tight and from memory threadlocked.

Bin the pads, they will be contaminated without a doubt.

turin
    Free Member

cheers for the info,

The guy would have no reason to have touched the bolts, Id ask him but the sod has buggered off to NZ for a few years! Im hoping he didnt know about it. The o ring appears to be in the right seating (?) the faces look ok but ill give it closer inspection. Ill bin the pads

Cheezpleez

No way to tell for certain without giving them a top-up and bleed. Sounds v odd, though. Can’t think why it would have worked loose. If it’s been like that for a while then it may have got corroded.

turin
    Free Member

cheers for that,

ill order the bleed kit and give it a go then, fingers crossed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘hayes brakes – how dead are mine likely to be’ is closed to new replies.