Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 236 total)
  • Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham airshow
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

Let’s ban lorries from going down steep hills.

Let’s chop all roadside trees so they don’t fall down on unsuspecting drivers in the winter.

Let’s fence every roadside so animals can’t run out and kill innocent people.

If we sanitised everything as a knee jerk reaction then life would be dull.

This was a tragic accident. They happen each and every day. Let’s learn and move forward not backward!!

moose
    Free Member
    convert

Miketroid – you seem rather fixated by other people wishing to see them banned. Not sure I read the thread that way. Mitigate the risks to non participants yes, but not banned per se. This has been done countless times for airshows already, so I’m not sure why you think it would be ‘elf and safety gone mad’ to do it again. Let’s learn means change – can’t mean anything else. Let’s learn does not mean ‘accidents happen’ and a gaelic shrug. Change might mean limiting further where they can happen and ‘banning’ the ones in more iffy locations – but that is not banning air shows. It’s not a biggy – it’s been done before.

Also – it’s only an air show – comparing banning airshows which are just a needless bit of fun to banning lorries (which you would if you could only go uphill!) which are the lifeline of the nation’s food supply and industry is just daft. As I said previously it’s about weighing up risk and benefit.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The last time anyone on the ground was killed in Britain at an airshow was in 1958.

Clearly investigations should be carried out and any lessons learnt, but to ban an activity which causes innocent deaths every 60 years seems a bit extreme.

+1

I might add that looking at the airfield in question and it’s position in relation to the A27, then a good compromise would be the CAA looking closely at allowing airshows at airfields with safer flight lines…eg Duxford.

muggomagic

I’m not sure that air shows would or should ever be banned and I’m not sure that now is the time for having that discussion as to me anyway it all still feels so raw. I cannot get that image out of my head of the plane as it was clearly in trouble with the tail down and so low and then the massive fireball streaking along the road.
    it seems almost certain that the death toll will rise as the police are hinting that they expect to find more bodies so right now who gives a toss if you think they should be banned or not.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also – it’s only an air show – comparing banning airshows which are just a needless bit of fun to banning lorries (which you would if you could only go uphill!) which are the lifeline of the nation’s food supply and industry is just daft. As I said previously it’s about weighing up risk and benefit.

Wasn’t a spectator killed in a DH race recently? If you want to talk about risk, think of the numbers going to downhill races vs airshows, the frequency of downhill races vs airshows, the years airshows have been running for without loss of life to spectators vs downhill races etc etc…..all versus the number of deaths.

You will probably find that going to a DH race is riskier than you thought. Most people are utterly ignorant of risk, how it is calculated and the relative risk of certain activities vs others.

Let’s ban all DH races.

convert

Let’s ban all DH races.

Could you quickly point me to where I suggested we should ban all air shows. I must have missed the bit where I typed that.

If you don’t think DH races have not rethought where it’s ok for spectators to be able to stand you are deluded.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bickering.

Stay classy, STW.

convert

I don’t see why threads like these should remain bicker free RIP fests. To be honest I find those quite tasteless. A forum like this should react to events like this with robust debate. That’s the point of a forum and I don’t think it disrespectful in any way. If I die in a very public and contentious way I hope the public feel free to debate it. Percieved risk in society is a fascinating and very real issue.

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a time and a place for everything and fighter jets need a lot of space. I’ve sat in with a couple of stunt champs during their display over Brands Hatch (the stunt pilots took the stunt drivers up for their routine). We had exclusive use of a bit of air space defined by main roads on the ground and altitude.

So, took off and followed air traffic control requirements to the designated area where the pilots were let off the leash for the routine. They then got back in touch with air traffic control for the flight back to the airport.

Compared with the flurry of activity in a rally car in full flight everything was very calm. The planes never got that close to each other or the ground. Two things made it impressive: the g-forces and the disorientation during the vertical stall and then falling backwards with the smoke billowing forwards.

A fighter needs so much space for a loop the chances of staying within a designated area seem low.

maxtorque

Tom_W1987

I might add that looking at the airfield in question and it’s position in relation to the A27, then a good compromise would be the CAA looking closely at allowing airshows at airfields with safer flight lines…eg Duxford.

Duxford is hardly in an isolated position either. And this is the problem, in the UK we are a small island with a high population density, especially in the south. Look at all the roads and houses around virtually any airfield in the UK and it’s the same.

Whilst this incident is shocking, frankly, with any chaotic situation like an airplane maneuvering in 3 dimensional space at high speed, estimating the “end position” at any moment in the future is impossibly difficult. Had this pilot been 30foot to the left, or pulled up 0.5 sec later or earlier, he would have impacted a field rather than the A27 and the result would have been very different. And of course, by the same token, he could also have impacted a large busy pub full of people, or the School just down the road.
    And that’s the point: You cannot talk specifics, but must work by the law of averages.

The currently rules have prevented any 3rd party injuries or deaths for 60 years, so they are NOT grossly wrong. However, we need to look at this incident in proper detail, understand what happened and why, and the critical chain of events that lead to the crash (no accident ever has a single cause). If those investigations point to a change that could make a statistically significant reduction in average risk, then that change needs to be made. Luckily, the AAIB are extremely good and doing just that.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Perhaps you’re being ironic, but Duxford isn’t a great example as the M11 goes past the end of the runway and, for exmple, wreckage from the P38 that crashed a few years ago there went onto the motorway.

maxtorque

convert

This is an interesting point for discussion^^^

What is the benefit for things we do “for fun”? I would argue that in many ways, these are the things that make life worth living in the first place! If you asked me if i wanted too:

1) live for 80 years, just living on bread and water (carried by those lorries) but not able to partake in any other activity that wasn’t directly necessary for life.

OR

2) accept the 1 in a billion (or more) chance that i’d die tomorrow from some freak incident but be able to fill my life with enrichening experiences like airshows.

then it’s 2) for me please!

convert

But the folk that died did not choose 2 or get the high of doing 2 or watching 2, just got to do the downside of 2. They had that chosen for them by someone else. I’m all up for personal reckless endeavour but it would be ideal if I alone get to do the suffering when it goes tits up.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Perhaps you’re being ironic, but Duxford isn’t a great example as the M11 goes past the end of the runway and, for exmple, wreckage from the P38 that crashed a few years ago there went onto the motorway.

It’s still better than Shoreham though….at the end of the day it is less built up and toward the south of the airfield there is plenty of room to carry out manoeuvres in a way that won’t risk crashing into a main road or a heavily built up area. Perhaps limit the types of manoeuvres done, so that the only high G manoeuvres allowed would be those that result in a crash directly on the airfield – whilst limiting the rest to low G stuff with a low risk of stall or pilot disorientation.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Brighton+City+Airport/@50.8361369,-0.296974,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x487599ef6cb32407:0x3dd527ac04e875c

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Imperial+War+Museum/@52.0772275,0.1397246,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d870963894862d:0x7c69bf53a1c0382d

You could mitigate the risk at Duxford so that the only risk to the main roads was from a mechanical failure. Hundreds of airfields and airports around the UK put main roads at the risk of being hit by an aircraft suffering from a mechanical issue.

maxtorque

convert
    But the folk that died did not choose 2 or get the high of doing 2 or watching 2, just got to do the downside of 2. They had that chosen for them by someone else. I’m all up for personal reckless endeavour but it would be ideal if I alone get to do the suffering when it goes tits up.

Actually they did. Ok, maybe they didn’t go to that particular airshow, but i bet they, their children or family have been to an airshow, or even watched one on telly etc.
    As a Child, what you see, experience, imagine, and even dream about really does influence what you do and make of your life.
    For me, i grew up in the early 1980’s under Concordes Flight path out of Heathrow in South Oxfordshire. Hearing and seeing that futuristic White dart spear upwards between the clouds every morning at 11am helped to get me interested in science and engineering. It was a real, tangible link to a subject that could have been very dull and boring, and as Children we NEED that excitement to dream about! Fast forwards 30 years to today and i am now a very successful and high regarded engineer, and have been privileged to work on some incredible engineering projects.
    Would i be where i am today if we had banned Concorde for being “Too noisy” back in 1978?
    Well who knows, but i’m going to suggest that banning something because it isn’t directly necessary to support our lives is a short sighted action.

mikey3
    Free Member

?

mikertroid
    Free Member

A fighter needs so much space for a loop the chances of staying within a designated area seem low.

What a load of drivel. Yes they need a big area for vertical manoeuvres but display flying is strictly controlled and they have designated areas and gates they normally stay within.

For whatever reason; mechanical, failing to reach gate height, pilot incapacitation etc etc, the jet failed to recover from its manoeuvre.

It was an accident. Accidents happen. Sometimes we can ensure they don’t re-occur. Generally, however, accidents by their nature are repeatable events. Sadly bystanders were involved. That’s extremely rare. But this happens in all manner of activities everyday. Let’s not get all wrapped around the axle here.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Ironically the bystanders on the road chose to expose themselves to far more risk through driving than death by airshow mishap.

Edukator
    Free Member

Did you read all my post, Miketroid? I’m fully aware that pilots have to fly their display within a limited area and therefore question whether it would be possible for a fighter to complete a loop within a designated “safe” area at that airport.

I’m not proposing a ban, just questioning whether that was a sensible place to allow an old fighter to do a low-level loop.

The idea of what is sensible is changing with time. I have a vivid memory of watching a Harrier jump jet landing and taking off at close quarters around 1970. I’m not so sure of exactly where it was but my memory says it was in Birmingham city center! I was standing on the top of a building and the Harrier landed on another building. Perhaps an aviation buff can confirm because Google can’t (edit: I’ll ask may mother the next time I give her a ring).

crazy-legs

I’m fully aware that pilots have to fly their display within a limited area and therefore question whether it would be possible for a fighter to complete a loop within a designated “safe” area at that airport.

Clearly it was perfectly possible because the aircraft / pilot were given permission to do it.

Same with all the bollocks earlier in the thread about restricting aerobatics to aircraft that were “designed for it”.
    It’s a **** jet fighter – it saw front-line service in the RAF for 20 years, of course it’s designed for it!

Edukator
    Free Member

And the pilot, was he designed for it? Still fit for it? Loops are a pretty good way of draining the blood from your brain.

maxtorque

Edukator
    just questioning whether that was a sensible place to allow an old fighter to do a low-level loop.

I’m not sure the age of the aircraft has anything to do with it. Currently, we have no evidence to suggest mechanical failure rather than pilot error. In fact, the aircraft looks to have responded extremely well in the last 2 secs before impact, the point where the pilot fully realises their error and initiates a “max pull” in an attempt to tighten the loop exit.

At this point, subject to a full and proper investigation by the AAIB, i’m going to suggest that pilot incapacitation or improper spacial awareness is the most likely cause.

Edukator
    Free Member

i’m going to suggest that pilot incapacitation or improper spacial awareness is the most likely cause

I agree, it looked to me like too much G, pilot starts to lose control, G reduced, regains control and adds more G but too late. I wasn’t sitting next to him though so I can’t be sure and nor can anyone else on here.

barkm
    Free Member

I think quite simply he was too low. It was a very hot day, maybe humid, which will have affected air density, he will have done that maneuver before at the same airspeed/altitude, but he may well have not taken into account the affect on aircraft performance the conditions may have had on this occasion.
    I don’t see any loss of control, just a lack of recovery altitude, the swerve may well have been pilot reaction to try and recover or avoid highway.
    He’s former red arrows I think.
    Let’s hope he recovers and answers can be provided.

Devastating for all concerned.

crazy-legs

I’m not sure the age of the aircraft has anything to do with it. Currently, we have no evidence to suggest mechanical failure rather than pilot error.

Currently we have no evidence to suggest ANYTHING – I think the mindless speculation has just got out of hand and moved into the slightly distasteful to be honest.

Edukator
    Free Member

If you find it distasteful, leave it to those who don’t find such a discussion distasteful to discuss, Crazy-legs.

I don’t find the discussion mindless or out of hand.

Were are discussing something in the news, like most other things discussed on STW. Charlie Hebdo, tube disasters, wars … they all get discussed with people chipping in opinions and ideas.

BillMC

The Gs involved in doing Cubans and loops etc are brutal, turning you into a gargoyle and pulling the helmet off your head. Even an experienced pilot’s body/brain is going to be taking that strain and wallops. I did it twice (as a passenger) but never again and my mate sold his share in the Yak due to a couple of close calls. Dangerous stuff all round.

agent007
    Free Member

No but ironically they were doing something far more dangerous at the time, driving or cycling on the UK’s road network, where as we know around 6-7 people are wiped out on a daily basis, often through no fault of their own, yet normally this isn’t even considered newsworthy! Let’s get things in perspective shall we?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m sure the AAIB will conduct a very thorough investigation as usual and find the absolute or most likely cause of this dreadful accident.

The BBC have posted some new footage and it appears that there may have been a loss of power as the aircraft appears to suddenly stall just as it should be pulling out of the bottom of the loop. Obviously too early to speculate as to why that may be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34034784

Very tragic event

crazy-legs

I don’t find the discussion mindless or out of hand.

The *discussion* isn’t, it’s the speculation and blame game that’s already being played out.
    There’s a subtle difference between stating an opinion and putting that opinion forward as fact with no evidence to support it.

convert

Let’s get things in perspective shall we?

I really don’t think perspective has anything to do with it. In the same vein would you have been in favour of no changes to Ro-ro ferry design or operating procedure after the Spirit of Free Enterprise sinking because it was a one off? I mean people don’t die on ferries very often so even though there was a glaringly obvious improvement that could be made it was nothing like as dangerous as driving on the road so we ‘should all have had a bit of perspective’ and lived with the risk. Re-evaluating the risk benefit balance and making changes is a healthy exercise for any activity and comparisons to other unrelated activities is just a fatuous irellevance. Again, I don’t think banning is a correct response to many things but I fail to comprehend why adding a bit more margin for error to the licencing of air shows (which might lead to changes of venue or routines) would not be a reasonable response or be considered by any one as ‘knee jerk’.

Edukator
    Free Member

We’ve all watched the video. And people are being careful not to present their ideas as fact.

convert

No but ironically they were doing something far more dangerous at the time, driving or cycling on the UK’s road network, where as we know around 6-7 people are wiped out on a daily basis, often through no fault of their own, yet normally this isn’t even considered newsworthy!

Anyway thinking about this again – I’m not sure this is actually true. How many man minutes have been spent by people stood (or sat in cars) at the end of a jet aircraft aerobatic display line per death in the UK vs. how many man minutes of cycling or driving (or being a passenger in a car) are there in the UK per death? Given the 100s of millions of minutes of time on the road every single day of the year by the UK population and the remarkably few times anyone is ever likely to be placed under a jet aircraft display path, I’d be willing to bet with this 11 deaths yesterday, even if these were the only deaths ever, you are statically more likely to suffer death by Hunter crash than using the national road network.

maxtorque

piedi di formaggio

The BBC have posted some new footage and it appears that there may have been a loss of power as the aircraft appears to suddenly stall

I’m not sure i see a “classical stall” there tbh.

The airplane is coming from a positive energy condition, it doesn’t need excess power to overcome the drag from the high AOA required to pull put hard from that maneuver, in fact, to avoid overspeed, i’d expect the throttles to have been pulled back during the descent (depending on what setting they were at in order to make the apogee of the loop, which depends on the entry speed etc)

What i think it does show is the pilot pulling relatively (<< relative is, er relative here) gently out of the loop post apogee, and then, during the finaly seconds of the exit phase when he realises he has insufficient altitude, he pulls very hard and the aircraft mushes slightly tail first, right at the onset of stall, as the loss of directional control shows in the “wobbles” you see from the airframe. In reality, whilst the wings might be transiently “stalled” in a pure aerodynamic sense, due to the excessive AOA, we are not talking what a lay person might associate with a “stall” (ie, going too slow, a wing drops and the plane suddenly loses altitude)

In reality, we don’t know if the aircraft was within it’s normal, or even emergency flight envelope pulling out of the loop or if the loop apogee was simply too low to have made recovery impossible no matter what the pilots control inputs. The fact that the plane impacts tail down, at a relatively low vertical rate of descent shows that he very very nearly made it. Ie had he pulled harder, earlier, there is a good chance he would not have stuck the ground.

It is for the AAIB to establish the critical facts for this maneuver, like insufficient entry speed or if the roll out on apogee was initiated too early for the conditions that day.

duir
    Free Member

This post very quickly went from talking about a dreadful tradgedy and offering condolences to a load of people forming opinions and theories about something most of you appear to know less than zero about. Are any of you actually pilots or air accident investigators?

The real story is that this is a really dreadful thing to happen for all concerned especially the people that were there and the families of the deceased.

The actual cause and outcome is best left to the experts.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

sorry thats balls maxtourque…he was pulling high aoa whilst still losing height….ergo he had to little energy going into the loop or juat executed it to low. You can pull as much aoa as you like but if your airspeed was too low going into the loop youre going to have a shock.

mikertroid
    Free Member

And the pilot, was he designed for it? Still fit for it? Loops are a pretty good way of draining the blood from your brain.

No pilot is ‘designed’ to tolerate Gz of the order you need to fly a loop (4g). However training, experience and G-Pants all mitigate G-Loc.

Loops don’t tend to go wrong like that due to G-Loc anyhow for a variety of reasons. Looping manoeuvres tend to go wrong due to insufficient energy prior to manoeuvre or a simple case of pulling too hard over the top and not reaching your Gate.

It does look like he was pulling like a b*****d on his way out but the wing rock looks like classic accelerated stall. it’s just that the Hunter was so well designed it’s stall characteristics wouldn’t necessarily result in massive wing drop in this situation.

Anyhow we don’t know what happened here or why. Let’s leave that to the experts.

dukeduvet

Duir agree with you completely

jambalaya
    Free Member

I wouldn’t suggest for a second I am a pilot but I’ve done quite a bit of flying (not solo) and flew RC planes and gliders so have some appreciation.

The BBC have a new angle from the ground and it reinforces my view the loop was “twisted” the plane rolls as it reaches the highest point and then spends too long going straight down. A classic loop is “straight”. @pied the plane effectively stalls as it approaches the ground as the pilot is pulling up “too much” trying to rectify the situation hence the “belly flop” o to the road. IMO the twist is indicative of an issue (inc pilot error) and the time spent going straight down also.

We need to wait for the full investigation but the videos taken will provide a lot of info.

Sadly the death toll has risen. This is a really terrible accident

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 236 total)

The topic ‘Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham airshow’ is closed to new replies.