Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Having trouble mounting Thule 591 to Whispbars
  • cheers_drive

I’ve just got some new Whispbars roof bars for the car, they fit to the car fine but my Thule 591 bike carrier took me 30 minutes to fit to the bars where as they took about a minute to fit to the Altera bars on my previous car.
    The problem is the rubber channel in the T slot which is supposed to compress down bunches up stopping the T fitting being slid on to the bars.
    Hopefully I’m doing something wrong because I’ll be sending them back if it takes that long to fit.

g5604
    Free Member

pretty sure you need to cut it out – I did anyway.

cheers_drive

It states on their website that the rubber strip should compress.

fubar
    Free Member

The first time mine felt a bit tight so I worked the bolts in on their own and then slotted carrier in once the bolts were in. Next time they slid in quite easily whilst attached to carrier. Would a smear of vaseline or grease help ?
    (no cutting here)

Murray

Worth spraying the rubber with silicone?

vorlich
    Free Member

cheers_drive

Worth spraying the rubber with silicone?

I’ll give that a try

sc-xc

I had the same problem. It helped when I pulled out a bit of the rubber – then I slid the T-Bolt in (if that makes sense)

I can picture what I did in my head, but I can’t seem to articulate it!

woody2000

Silicon spray did the trick for me, no need to cut the rubber. Once they’ve been in once, subsequent insertions are fine (fnarr fnarr)

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve rarely bother taking mine off the car (561 so a bit tidier) but have fitted it twice and was quick and easy both times.

I think I pressed the rubber down in front of the T fitting allowing it to slide along a bit easier, no need for spray though.

angeldust
    Free Member

Mine do this too. Another reason why I will changing back to Thule next time I need new bars. The rubber is not designed to be cut, it is supposed to be compressed when you slot the fittings in, but it can be tricky to do. I have found it has got worse as the rubber has aged and become less flexible. Bit of silicon spray as mentioned above, helps.

I was very happy with my Whispars when I first got them, and they certainly are quieter if you leave bars on the car all the time (however I take mine off when not carrying anything so don’t get the benefit). However they have not worn well and the construction quality is not as good as Thule.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Having trouble mounting Thule 591 to Whispbars’ is closed to new replies.