Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Having followed the "for sale" section recently..
  • Wally

I have noticed;
    a) Offering your item 14 times is not unusual.
    b) Pictures seem to be beyond most peoples abilities.
    c) Selling 3/4K items is not rare – however paying Subs is.
    d) Fair price,decent stuff is pounced on.

Conan257
    Free Member

So… let me get this right…

Stuff sold at a good price for the buyer gets bought quickly?!

Who’d have thought…

honourablegeorge

Wally – Member
    I have noticed;

c) Selling 3/4K items is not rare – however paying Subs is.

Are you suggesting people should be paying a subscription if they use the classifieds or buy an expensive bike?

Wally

No, it would be silly to suggest that.
    IMO, however it would be simply polite to give a little back to STW.

honourablegeorge

Wally – Member

No, it would be silly to suggest that.
    IMO, however it would be simply polite to give a little back to STW.

“Yes” would have covered it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Why not? On every other forum I use there is no posting in the sales section without either a donation or subscription.
    Stops the scammers/quick buck merchants and gives a start point for reputation, etc.
    Also has traceability in the event of a problem although it has never happened in over 8yrs that I’ve been there

Pauly

I’m not a ‘Premium’ member, but have donated every time I have sold something.

scotroutes

No “P” here, but I think the “subscribers only” rule is a good one -but only if there was a forum-only subscription available. I’m really not interested in the magazine – electronic or paper.

I’ve previously asked how many folk ever use the Donate button and the answer as effectively none. I’ve given stuff away in the past on the basis that the recipient makes a donation but I’ve no way of checking they have.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

2nd what scotroutes said.

Sandwich

Easy enough to check the donation thing. An e-mail receipt is probably generated which can be forwarded before the freebie is dispatched.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i donate by reading the ads. funny how the people who run the forum dont seem to have a problem with this.
    if you dont like the classifieds dont read them. or are you just upset cos you missed out on a good deal?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Checks calendar to see its not April 1st after all…

Pauly

I’ve had no confirmation of my donations when they’ve been made.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Any ideas where I can get one of these?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i donate by reading the ads.

I think the advertisers pay rather than you donate anything not least as nothing comes out your pocket

funny how the people who run the forum dont seem to have a problem with this.

funnier they bother to produce a magazine then if your “donations” are so lucrative?

brakes
    Free Member

Any ideas where I can get one of these?

http://www.tasslesforhasselhoff.com

Kahurangi

I’ve previously asked how many folk ever use the Donate button and the answer as effectively none. I’ve given stuff away in the past on the basis that the recipient makes a donation but I’ve no way of checking they have.

I did donate once but then I subscribed 🙂 No, I’m not after a medal.

I think we’ve all (we being subscribers and regulars/big-hitters) given stuff away to someone needy at some point and not expected a return. We can ask for a donation or a pass-it-on but honestly, if I demanded proof of such, the grace of the act would be lost.

jamj1974

Selling 3/4K items is not rare – however paying Subs is.

And your point is…?

binners

I’m constantly amazed by the amount of high end kit for sale that’s never been used. God bless ’em. God bless ’em even more if they weren’t trying to sell it for a tenner less than they bought it for before it sat in the garage gathering dust for 12 months 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Binners I prefer it when they rag the shit out of it for 5 years then base the price on what it is new now and ask for more than they paid for the item

Its especially good when they repeat the ad and we are not allowed to comment that it is over priced as that is VERBODDEN

And your point is…?

so obvious it neither needs to be asked nor stated

Mackem

There’s been some great looking bikes at good prices lately, unfortunatley for me i’m not in the position to buy any of them later. Of course, in a couple of months i’ll have the cash but there’ll be nowt to buy.

D0NK

Seems to be a lot of BNIB stuff advertised at almost rrp prices by classified only users (quite heavy users at that). Bike shops offloading gear or ebay merchant wannabes do you think?

binners

This reminds me that I really need to shove some stuff on the classifieds. There’s a set of forks been leaning against the dining room table for the past 2 weeks. Then there’s the ‘spare’ Pace frame in the shed. Next to the ‘spare’ set of wheels. And the Avids I’ve just replaced on the better halfs bike…….

Mackem

..spare Pace frame? Tell me more…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I only sell stuff on here to those who use the forum, but then I’m not looking for top dollar, nor am I in need to sell, sometimes it just means moving stuff on to those that will actually appreciate it & use it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Quoting RRP or the cost 5yrs ago is what gets my goat

*non subsciber*

Junkyard
    Free Member

stuff on here to those who use the forum, but then I’m not looking for top dollar, nor am I in need to sell, sometimes it just means moving stuff on to those that will actually appreciate it & use it.

haha he thinks we ride bikes

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

haha he thinks we ride bikes

Well I don’t much, hence I have stuff to sell 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I ride so often I have seen all of DONK’s fleet – not the Cross bike he can do that alone the weirdo

geoffj

We need more funky bespoke shoes.
    (And other irrelevant shit that folk haven’t been able to shift on eBay or gumtree)

jamj1974

so obvious it neither needs to be asked nor stated

I was asking a serious question – because I wanted to know the answer. Unless the OP is saying only subscribers should advertise (which I’m not sure he is) – then I honestly don’t know. There is honest ignorance sometimes!

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I can see the OP’s point, I am not a singletrack subscriber, though I do buy it sometimes.
    I am a subscriber to another bike mountain bike mag.

At the end of the day though, if people get money for items they want to sell, and other people get items they want for good money, I don’t see why anybody should be forced to subscribe….

I do accept that a donation should be made though, but again, a “donation” shouldn’t be forced, then it isn’t a donation…..

wilko1999
    Free Member

What irks me for some reason is when the seller states ‘Grab a bargain’ or even just plain old ‘Bargain at £xxx’. It never, ever is.

z1ppy

At the end of the day though, if people get money for items they want to sell, and other people get items they want for good money, I don’t see why anybody should be forced to subscribe..

Classified no doubt increases traffic to the site.. more traffic makes advertisers are happy… making sites owners happy. Simple eh?

Also if I have a couple of item to sell once in a while, why would become a premier member just for that… so then you miss out the chance of a bargain.

STW have made every effort to make sure premier members get more for there subs.

Yours a forum leech, and happy!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Having followed the "for sale" section recently..’ is closed to new replies.