Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Having a nightmare installing a tyre
  • Taff
    Free Member

Trying to install Racing Ralph I bought from On One. Didn’t realise it was a UST version until it arrived. Putting it onto Stans rim [Run Ringle Black Flag Pro’s] and I’m having a nightmare. They were super tight to get over the rim for starters and now I can not get them to seat. They are so tight against the inside of the rim that they just won’t ‘ping’. Are they just not going to fit? Should have just got tubeless ready ones I suppose. These are just a nightmare

njee20
    Free Member

Tubeless Ready ones have the same bead. Either pump to about 20psi and physically pull the tyre about to get it to seat, or try a but of lubricant on the bead.

Tubeless Ready are >200g lighter though.

scaredypants

using lots of fairy liquid ?

I got UST nobby nicks on a flow easy enough, but I think they might’ve changed the rim profiles recently

(the nobby nicks were shit, FWIW, and I binned em shortly after fitting)

Slogo
    Free Member

try deflating a little and pulling/pushing the tyre away from where its not seating properly. or supper inflate and wait for the big Pop/bang!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had probs with crests and hans damPfs. Reckon stans with schwalbe is just hard.

Watery soap suds on the rim. Fit and inflate to 60psi and leave overnight

Taff
    Free Member

Used a hell of a lot of fairy!! Gone up to 50 although the rim says 45max. Tried low pressure and tweaking it. Will try again shortly and see if I can do something.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Hairspray, match, check eyebrows, job done.

Taff
    Free Member

It’s up at 50psi and is rock solid. bead hasn’t ipnged into place but it is sitting even all the way around If I deflate is a 1-2mm away from the side of the rim. Will go and do a local loop on it tomorrow if it stays inflated,

rickon
    Free Member

Sounds like a classic post-2010 Schwalbe tyre on a Stans rim. Not recommended for use together as generally they’re the wrong size for each. I.e. schwalbe is smaller inner diameter, and stans rim is bigger. Both are trying to solve the same problem. Trouble is, that only works when they’re still compatible.

At some point it’ll probably blow off, wreck the bead, and you’ll have a broken tyre. Probably.

Jesus, I’m cheery tonight.

Taff
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Made the last hour or so worth while…

james
    Free Member

“a classic post-2010 Schwalbe tyre on a Stans rim”
    argh
    I was told it was post 2012 or Tubeless ready schwalbe, though post 2010 might fit my own problem
    slight thread hijack:
    I’ve got 2011 Schwable Alberts to fit tubed on Stans Arch EX with relative ease (no fairy etc), just they won’t seat at 20psi with pulling nor 40psi, even after riding

DickBarton

Whack it to 60 and see if it pops into place…if not, it should be fine (says me who knows heehaw about tyres and fitting them…I sling them on and just ride, so I’ve never noticed if the tyres are on properly or not!

b45her
    Free Member

weird, i’ve just put some tubeless ready schwalbe’s onto a set of sun-ringle charger expert’s (pretty much a stans rim) and they literally fell onto the wheels and inflated and sealed with no issues at all.

globalti
    Free Member

DON’T USE DISHWASH LIQUID! It contains salt as a thickener, which will rust the spoke nipple threads and leave a sticky mess all over the wheel.

Talc is the best clean, dry lubricant for sticky new tyres. Every bike mechanic needs a small pack of baby talc in their workshop.

Cheezpleez

I use one of these tyres from On-One with a Crest. Don’t think it did the pinging into place thing but it’s been running fine for a couple of months.

jameso

bead cream

This stuff is brilliant for tight tyres, UST or not.

johnnystorm

I got a pot of that rim lube (Fnarr Fnarr) from OnOne. Didn’t realise it was a kilo pot until it arrived! Brilliant stuff. I had the same problems with RaRaRoRo on my Crests. Solved it by buying Maxxis tyres. 😉

Using the rim lube I fitted a pair of Nobby Nics to the same crests which went straight up. Genius stuff.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Having a nightmare installing a tyre’ is closed to new replies.