Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Having a front triangle cut in half
  • kevj
    Free Member

I have, unfortunately, damaged the front triangle on my SLR. I’m in the process of buying a warranty replacement from Ibis so will be as good as new.

I want to have the old one cut into two halves, to mount the non-damaged side on the man-cave wall. Not really keen on doing this myself and willing to pay a company to do it properly.

Anyone has any experience of this? NE based.

richmars

Very hard to hold the frame to cut it with machine tools. I’d have a go with a hand held drammel and cutting disk.

kevj
    Free Member

Yes, there are pros and cons for both methods. I want to mount it flush on a wall which will be plastered. Hand tools will result in a wavey cut-line which will never be true. It’s a carbon frame, so I can’t grind back to a datum line.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cutting front to rear I assume. Why not just scribe the cut line then dremel it.?

If that was my project it would be the angle grinder and a cutting disc. Cut slightly bigger to allow for minor wobbles then sand back to flat.
    Not what I’d call a hard job. Why not just as a local chippy?
    No not one with fish as well.

njee20
    Free Member

I did a Spark with a hacksaw, it’s not difficult, take your time.

richmars

You can ‘grind’ it down, even if it’s carbon. Just wear a mask.

andyl
    Free Member

cut is slightly wider than half and then flatten it off on a large flat abrasive paving stone outside (use some water to lubricate). You might have a job getting the black out of the stone after for a while.

kevj
    Free Member

Some good, practical ideas, thank you. I may consider this as a DIY job now.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

We (18 Bikes) would be able to do that, probably something in the region of a couple of hours work. I’d probably do some test cuts to find the best method (hacksaw/angle grinder/dremel/butter knife) then cut close to a line and sand back as required. Carbon is pretty soft when you start getting aggressive with it.

email me – matt@18bikes.co.uk if you’re interested

richmars

Good idea from andyl about using paving slabs. Get large sheets of emery paper, double sided tape to fix it to the slab.

mespv
    Free Member

Find a local company that does water jet cutting, I’m sure they’ll sort you out and it’ll be a great smooth and linear cut.

andyl
    Free Member

some sand, water and possibly a drop of washing up liquid (surfactant) would probably make a good abrasive slurry on the stone too.

richmars

And keep the dust down

oldnpastit

I believe the Umbrella Corporation have a machine which would do exactly what you want. I’m sure if you’re near to Racoon city you could pop in and ask to borrow it.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Wtf to last poster!?

& why to op!?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wtf to last poster!?

Resident evil ‘bad guys’

[video]https://youtu.be/iXgsCPFhSgc[/video]

oldnpastit

Wtf to last poster!?

Just ask for the mainframe….

EDIT: thanks tinas, saved me the trouble…. 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

Anybody else old enough to have thought of this?

belugabob
    Free Member

Put frame in a cardboard bike box.
    Work out how to position it exactly in the centre of the box, just temporarily.
    Fill rest of box with expanding foam.
    When set, cut the box along it’s centre line, with a huge handsaw.

(Depends on a bit of accuracy, but addresses the clamping dilemma)

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Why don’t you dremel it slightly over, then just push it into your wet plaster?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Moving on from the last post. Why not thick plaster then you won’t need to cut it? You could even have it at an angle.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Aha, yes if only they were easy to comeby ay!

belugabob – your solution goes up in the halls of shit ideas right next to the guy on Pinkbike who suggested that half an inch of side to side play on a shock top bushing could be cured with some silicone. Go to bed!

belugabob
    Free Member

belugabob – your solution goes up in the halls of shit ideas right next to the guy on Pinkbike who suggested that half an inch of side to side play on a shock top bushing could be cured with some silicone. Go to bed!

Even allowing for the fact that predictive text changed bandsaw to handsaw? 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Having a front triangle cut in half’ is closed to new replies.