Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Having a dog in London
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Started a thread about getting a dog but perhaps the biggest obstacle other than cost is accommodation. As it stands we’re in rented accommodation but will be moving around July. We won’t find out where until late Feb and there’s a reasonable chance it will be London. If it is then we’ll be in a rented flat and we would be there for 2 years before most likely moving to Scotland (and buying somewhere). My gf will be working from home so they should get enough exercise and attention.

The problem or rather our question is two fold:

Would it be sensible and reasonable to bring up a puppy (for argument’s sake a Hungarian Vizsla) in a flat in London?

Secondly would having a dog greatly limit our rental options?

If I do end up in London I could be anywhere – Brighton, Kent, Luton, Central London etc

soundninjauk

Our tenancy agreement specifically forbids pets (Housing Association Shared Ownership flat in West London), so you might well find it limits your rental options. I also personally think that it would be unfair on the dog, and wouldn’t consider getting one until I’ve moved out of London.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dogs in town are fine if you have the right dog. A Viszla isn’t the right dog for town.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

If your moving to Scotland in two years why not wait till then? It was ten years until we got our Rhodesian ridgeback. Both the wife and I wanted kids so we decided that we would wait till our son was ( in our eyes) old enough to understand about owning a dog.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Confirmed my fears. Also given that we’ll be in town for the forseeable future whether a vizsla needs reconsideration full stop. Although even if we were in Edinburgh we could access some good open spaces.

birney29
    Free Member

Toilet training a pup when living in a flat is a ginormous pain in the ass.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Toilet training a pup when living in a flat is a ginormous pain in the ass.

Although fewer places to discover hidden gems first thing in the morning

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Although fewer places to discover hidden gems first thing in the morning, when walking barefoot in to the kitchen to make a coffee….

Nothing compares to the feeling of stepping in cold puppy-poo when half awake!

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah even when our dog was an adult I remember being the first downstairs to do my paper round and discovering a great turd. The house rules were clear: you find it, you clean it.

jota180
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about Korean restaurants

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Having a dog in London’ is closed to new replies.