Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Having a bike van as my only transport
  • tomaso
    Free Member

One vehicle household (well except the motorcycles…) and its a whooping Mercedes Sprinter MWB high roof camper conversion. Driven almost sensibly it is doing 33mpg which isn’t too bad. Its comfy and easy to drive but parking can be tricky. Wife likes driving it too and so far it has not suffered from one of her usual bodywork restyling exercises.

I don’t drive to work or for business and get away with my pushbike for those duties. I’d rather not commute in the big Merc.

If I were to be buying a more modest size van just for regualr family and biking use and not as a camper I’d got for a new Vito or maybe the happy halfway house of a VW Caddy MaxLife as they are perfect for big biking trips and don’t carry the office car park stigma of a panel van.

messiah
    Free Member

No surprises… my VW short wheel base T5 Kombi allows for bikes to go in complete behind the second row of seats. They sit at an angle and so far I’ve had 2 adult + 2 kids, or 3 adult with no problem.

If taking four or five adults I might have to pop off a wheel or two to get it all in but I’m absolutely sure it will fit.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm,

Food for thought. I’ve only taken Bingo into work once and it was met with fits of laughter. Sitting there amongst the Mercs and Audis he did look a tad out of place…..

But I’m paying to insure, tax, MOT and service two vehicles at the moment – which is annoying. The Mondeo is a good bike car but I got fed up with folding seats down, taking wheels off, and general muck getting into the car everywhere. I really like being able to chuck the bikes into the back of the van complete and still have a sensible place to sit up front.

The problem with the Berlingo is it’s only two seats and it lacks a certain amount of creature comforts (AC for instance).

So this is why I’d been toying with selling both and getting a three-seated van. I don’t need more than three seats – I live on my own and it just needs to be able to handle the occassional passenger or two.

May wait for the new Transit Connect to come out. Smaller and will apparently be a three seater and as nice in the cabin as the new Transit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Older Rav4’s you can remove at seats to provide van like space whilst still having a car, regret selling ours. Practicle reliable comfortable, not quick or that economical but it was petrol auto.

Personally I would be concerned with transit / transporter size vehicle as sole car as its more troublesome around multi-story car parks etc. If it was to be van only I’d say go for Belingo or equivalent and one that had only been a private vehicle

porter_jamie

i have a rattly old vw t4 lwd with an extra row of seats. because it is a bit batter i don’t worry about people opening doors on it and so on, and i can fit huge amounts of stuff in the back. it’s a bit noisey compared to a car, and it only does 35mpg is you take it really steady. other than that i love it. once you have had a van, you will probably wonder how you ever managed before.

tthew

I’ve only taken Bingo into work once and it was met with fits of laughter

Why would you care?

About the 3 seats of the new shape Connect. You can get the new Berlingo with 3 up-front, but the 3rd looks mighty cramped and a Connect would probably be the similar*, don’t think passengers on a long journey would be thanking you.

*obviously just a guess as it’s not out yet, but it’s bound to be narrower than the transit

FOG

I am in a similar quandry. The wife hates vans so I am looking for a stealth van. Currently we have a Meriva which she ,rightly, says is crap but it is so like a van for shoving stuff in the back. I fancied the new Berlingo but she immediately wrote that off as a ‘VAN!’.
    So I am looking for a van disguised as a car! Suggestions welcome.
    Incidentally I would like something cheap to run for long trips. I can only get 50mpg out of the Vauxhall 1.7 CTDi engine by absolute pussying about. Normal careful , watching the gauge type driving only gives 45mpg. Have I been spoiled by an ancient non-turbo Astra diesel that would do 50mpg easily and 65 if you were careful? It was also incredibly slow and needed a calendar to time acceleration.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why don’t you want to get a tow-bar rack for your car? Security?

How about hiring a Transit for a few days to see how you get on with it?

yunki
    Free Member

it’s a bit of a weird question IMO..

If you want to get a van, get a van..

Despite not needing one for work, I’ve always driven a van cos they are more practical, although I am much preferring only having a bike and trailer for transport these days

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

Wife and i went from two Alfas (147 and GTV) to a single Mazda Bongo between us. both of us have office jobs and no problems here. Bongo has more useable seats than both previous cars put together, with the fuel consumption on one of them! (unfortunately its the fuel consumption of the GTV!) Insurance is cheaper than either of teh other two as well…

Easy to transport bikes in and as its the tin top will still get into most car parks (1.96m high). we use ours as camper and people mover and can transport 5 people plus bikes (3 inside, 2 on the rear rack*

If you weren’t fussed about having 8 seats/bed its easy to remove the rear bench to fit bikes easily in to the rear and some of them come with split folding rear seats which makes best of all worlds.

*bikes that is not people, all people go inside

tomaso
    Free Member

My van at Bala last Friday night en route to the Dyfi

If you want creature comforts and van practicalities I do think the VW Caddy MaxLife ticks all the boxes.

ChrisI

I’ve only taken Bingo into work once and it was met with fits of laughter. Sitting there amongst the Mercs and Audis he did look a tad out of place…..

T5.1 (facelift) with the Sportline conversion. Looks like a bigger meaner VAG and will blend in with the other Audi’s and Mercs 😉

I got rid of a Nissan 370z to get our T5, its converted to a camper so we can get away for nice weekends camping (read: biking!). Drives just like a car for the most part, easily fits in car park spaces and can get into multi-stories easily enough. Interior pretty much the same a a standard Golf/Passat/Polo, so nice enough place to be.

handyandy
    Free Member

I have a berlingo (called bajingo of course) and its ace. Ok, being a 1.4 petrol its slow AND crap on fuel, but i can fit 3 bikes with wheels in teh back, its got aircon, cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and who in their right mind would want to steal one?!

Next on my list is a Mazda Bongo, as its a bit longer, so i could sleep in the back with a bit more space.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I’ve only taken Bingo into work once and it was met with fits of laughter. Sitting there amongst the Mercs and Audis he did look a tad out of place…..

They are probably laughing more at the fact you’ve called the damn thing Bingo.

messiah
    Free Member

Love the Sportline grill Chrisl 8)

Looks like a bigger meaner VAG and will blend in with the other Audi’s and Mercs

Choose your colour wisely and have a few bling looking bits/bobs on it and instead of being the laughing stock of the car park you will be the talk of it.

Not a cheap option but it has the kudos of the badge to punch above (many a car) any other van.

messiah
    Free Member

double 😳

chakaping
    Free Member

Not a cheap option but it has the kudos of the badge to punch above (many a car) any other van.

And that’s the most important thing, after all.

messiah
    Free Member

Could be for some. If its the one thing that is stopping you buying a van then it could be the answer 🙄

slimsi
    Free Member

I have an L200 Double Cab pickup like a car inside and drive nicely…

Great for dirty bikes as I just hose out the load bay and re-attach hard cover.

Plus it doesnt look out of place as its not got animal stickers or dents etc all over just normal met grey with alloys…

Si

colski

We’ve lived with a van (Peugeot Expert) for the last 3 years or so. It’s been great. Only need to take passengers occasionally so got removable seats fitted in the back. When the seats out can easily get 4 bikes in no trouble. Also built a removable bed for it so we can sleep in there too. About to trade up to a camper now though…

cakefacesmallblock

Just a point about Transporters. For a variety of reasons they are popular. Bought wisely in the first place, although sometimes seemingly more expensive than others, yet there are bargains to be had, they do seem to hold value very well.
    My first one bought 7 years ago, sold last year for more than what I’d paid for it, even though I’d added 90,000 miles to the 50k it had when I bought it.
    Just hoping my T5 works similarly.

yunki
    Free Member

They are probably laughing more at the fact you’ve called the damn thing Bingo.

and refer to it as him..

colp

macb – Member
    Interesting stuff folks and does anyone know which of the options allow for two rows of seats and bikes to go in complete behind? I quite like the look of the Vito Dualiner and Hyundai appeals on price.

Vito Dualiner Extra Long Wheelbase.

As well as fitting MTBs (fully built) and still 5 seats, I can fit a crosser in diagonally, or if I tip 1 of the rear seats forward, my Ducati track bike.
    Take the rear seats out and you can fit in 8×4 sheets of ply too.

macb
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m formulating a shortlist here which so far consists of the Vito Dualiner, Hyundai ILoad and some form of Transit. I’m gradually unravelling the blurb from manufacturers sites and the most detailed or easiest to translate so far has been the Vito stuff. With the second row of seats in place then you have lengths of 1405mm, 1650mm and 1880mm for the standard, long and extra long wheelbase varieties.

As you’ve mentioned to fit complete bikes in behind two rows of seats then it would need a capacity along the lines of the Vito extra long wheelbase. But I do seem to be struggling a bit to get that dimension out of the various sites I’ve been looking at.

Like others we’re looking at changing the makeup of our two vehicle household. So it would be a change to a small run around and then the combi vehicle. My wife used to drive a Kia Sedona which had an overall length of 4.81m which isn’t a huge amount less than the extra long Vito which comes in at 5.238m.

I’ll keep doing searches, scanning this thread and others and narrow down a shortlist to arrange some test drives. Any suggestions of what to look for or avoid gratefully appreciated, especially around reliability and economy.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Just googled the new Connect, wow. Don’t see how they are doing to do 3 front seats comfortably though

Paceman
    Free Member

I have a silver VW T5 as my only vehicle, works for me no probs, go for it!

therag
    Free Member

2007 Vivaro here, fitted a window in the side door & a double seat with built in seatbelts behind drivers seat. It is my perfect vehicle. Wanted a vw but couldnt afford or justify double the price. It was a little bit Sluggish, a remap totally changed that. Fits my bike built, 4 extra bikes with 1 wheel removed and 5 people.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very interested in the Vivaro remap therag.

How has it affected fuel consumption? What size engine do you have? Where’d you get it done?

Cheers 🙂

easygirl

Look at vantuner for van remaps, great service , loads more power for around £300

chakaping
    Free Member

will do, ta

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve got a Transit mid top, SWB as my only vehicle. I used to park in a secure corperate car park next to Porsches, Aston Martins, Audi r8s… Never bothered me, or anyone else.

Transits are brilliant, cheap to run, repair and buy. In 60k miles I’ve replaced two bulbs and wiper blades. Passed every MOT. Its quick, nimble, amazing turning circle, and a proper good size in the back and comfy to drive.

therag
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Very interested in the Vivaro remap therag.
    How has it affected fuel consumption? What size engine do you have? Where’d you get it done?
    Cheers

You can get an economy or performance remap, I had the performance. From 90bhp to 130bhp 🙂
    Cost £150. Its a 2L & had it done at a local garage in Pontypridd
    I’ve done 45k now since having it done & will have my next van done too.

chakaping
    Free Member

righto, mine’s a 2litre too and could do with a bit more pep.

Have you noticed much impact on MPG?

therag
    Free Member

It does about 425 miles to £100
    Not sure what it did before tho & I’ve got a heavy foot.

colp

Vito Dualiner ELW

piha
    Free Member

I have a Transporter 5.1 Kombi as my only drive and it does everything I need it to. Fuel economy is pretty good if I’m careful (40mpg generally and 700 miles out of a tank if I’m careful) and it drives surprisingly well. Servicing is fairly cheap as are the running costs.

The biggest negative with owning a van is how it is perceived by some people. To some it is just a van and therefore at the bottom of the car park top trumps. If this is a concern to you then don’t bother getting a van. Personally, I don’t really care too much what other people think of my daily transport so I’m very happy with the VW and would have another.

mandog

The Transit Custom looks very nice.

macb
    Free Member

Has anyone got direct comparison of a Vito Dualiner ELW against a Transit Custom L2?

Looking at the picture of the Vito above it hasn’t got a bulkhead which I assume would reduce the space a bit. But that comes as standard on the Transit doesn’t it? I would certainly have a requirement for the rear of the van not to be visible from the outside.

I think my test drives will be Vito, VW and Transit

shermer75
    Free Member

Van only and loving it!

macb
    Free Member

well I’ve got a VW and a Traffic test drive lined up for this weekend. I’m also pulling various bits of info together on a spreadsheet covering the Vito Dualiner, Transit Custom L2, VW Kombi, Vivaro and Traffic. I’ve been poring over reviews trying to whittle things down around the variables that wouldn’t present themselves via test drives…so reliability and longevity.

Has anyone any back to back experience of the differences between a standard VW Kombi and the Sportline version? There’s about a £10k or 50% uplift in the starting prices of the two. But I’m figuring that I’d be adding bells and whistles to a basic Kombi anyway that may be included with the Sportline.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Having a bike van as my only transport’ is closed to new replies.