Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Having a bigger screen but no TV – IT solutions?
  • stevious

First things first, this isn’t an ‘ooh, look at me, no TV’ post. I watch just as much crap as anyone but I do it on my laptop.

What I (and mostly Mrs S) are keen to avoid is having a passive viewing box that has channels on it as we’d just end up sitting and drooling at it. But I’m getting a bit sick of watching stuff just on my laptop -particularly movies & bike races.

Am thinking something like a PC monitor hooked up to an apple TV (we have macs and iphones) but am wondering if chromecast or something would be just as good or better?

My next thought is how good are the wee projectors you can buy, meaning we don’t have to have a TV-like thing in the corner of the room when not in use.

Main use is Eurosport player, iPlayer, itv4, channel 4 and netflix.

Any ideas?

Cougar

Have you considered a small television without connecting an aerial? That’s almost certainly going to be less cockaboutery than a monitor. Or are you on about reusing something you already have?

stevious

I have considered that but for no obvious rational reason Mrs S is dead against.

loddrik
    Free Member

Minix

thecaptain
    Free Member

We used a projector for years with a 100″ screen (just a cheap roll-up but it was great, conveniently out of the way when not in use). Great in some ways but haven’t replaced it, partly due to house design. Now use an apple cinema display when we want something bigger than the laptop/ipad.

simon_g

Philips Screeneo is worth a look. Ultra short throw projector that sits by the wall under where you want the image.

Has speakers, etc built in. Think it can throw about 45″ right by the wall up to 80+ if you bring it out a bit.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a tiny projector i mean tiny.

it runs on batteries and has various input options and internal memory.

picture isn’t great but its great for starting a film in the living room then just picking the whole thing up and moving it to the bedroom.

its great

GrahamS

Seems like the main objection is having a TV on display?

So would a possible option be a TV that hides away?

It could maybe rise up from a cabinet or be hidden behind discrete doors the swivel out to watch it?

sc-xc

its great for starting a film in the living room then just picking the whole thing up and moving it to the bedroom.

You dirty cat.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have considered that but for no obvious rational reason Mrs S is dead against.

Buy a TV tell her it’s a computer monitor.

twistedpencil

Went down the projector route, it’s great but don’t forget to factor in the cost of replacement bulbs…

squirrelking
    Free Member

We did as Cougar suggested, has worked out fine albeit its a 36″ TV.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Having a bigger screen but no TV – IT solutions?’ is closed to new replies.