• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Having 2 wheelsets for a CX / Gravel bike.. quick stupid questions..
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Have a Tripster and running a kinesis cx wheelset.
    I Want to cut out faff of tyre changes so will have a road set and an offroad set which will be run tubeless.

Will there be much faffing around with indexing gears or is it likely to be smooth from swapping between the two??

Currently have 11-28 shimano 105 cassette.. but was thinking of upgrading to Ultegra one for road… Do i also need to get a new chain to run with the new cassette? Anything else to consider?

ianfitz
    Free Member

If the cassettes are both Shimano and both 11-28 then it’s a straight swap.

I had a similar arrangement but with a11-28 on one set and 11-36 on another. That required a minor adjustment of the b screw

Spin
    Free Member

Will work fine as long as you replace both chains as they wear and there is not a massive difference in the numbers of teeth on the cassette.

thomthumb
    Free Member

disc might need spacing. syntace disc shim is the answer

cloudnine
    Free Member

Don’t mind a quick caliper alignment (I use a Hayes alignment tool which means perfect easy setup)
    Didn’t realise you could get disc shims though.. Always useful to know

velosam
    Free Member

I am curious about this, other than 2 cassettes do the chains need to be swapped as well?

nemesis
    Free Member

I do it but just swap over a single cassette between the wheels. Keeps it simple with no chain wear issues.

Pooley
    Free Member

Guys, suggestions are all spot on, but the set up may not be as problematic as you think. Additionally swapping chains, so long as cassettes are of similar age should be unnesasary. If hubs are from different manufacturers, then slight indexing, and caliper alignment may be required. I run a CX bike just as you intend. HTH

mattsccm
    Free Member

I do that. The indexing is fine despite the hubs being different. The disc line is just out enough to rub when swapping wheels but that’s two minutes to reset. I swap chains at the same time, well at least keep a new one for the road wheels. When its getting past it ,it just become the one that stay on the gravel cassette.

mattsccm
    Free Member

sorry

birdage

I just got a new wheelset for my Tripster with this exact idea. Decided in the end to just change tyres instead cause the particular ones I’ve got go on really easily and in reality I’m not swapping about that much. Also I had to realign the caliper each time. Went out on some rough terrain at the weekend and the front 42mm tyre was making some weird sounds on some of the bigger bumps like it was reseating itself. This is on a Kinesis CX wheel, don’t know if the tyre is too wide for the rim?

cookeaa

I’d be inclined to say use the exact same wheelsets/discs/cassettes or at least hubs, to minimise the chances of differing alignment between them.

Are these the ones you already have?

DrP

I’ve a tripster and have done exactly this.. 2 sets of the Kinesis V3 wheels, 2 11-28 cassettes… simply swip-swop-swoop and I’m off!!

It means the bike is either a ‘proper’ gravel bike or a ‘proper’ road bike – going from the 32c tubeless WTB tyres at 50psi, to some 25c (thought the rim says 28c min, it’s fine) conti baldies is now very straightforward.

DrP

thv3
    Free Member

Got a CAADx with two different wheelsets for the above reason, maybe I’ve been lucky but different hubs and matched cassettes have resulted in no problems yet and makes a very quick change between road/knobbly wheelsets.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Wheelset and 11-28 shimano 105 cassette ordered (didn’t bother with ultegra to save 20g)..
    Pretty sure I have spare rotors in the shed..

NZCol

Same here – cx set of hope/stans and a road set of mavics, minor faffage with discs but 1 minute to swap over.

DrP

Re the discs….there’s a seller on ebay flogging avid g3 rotors and bolts (a pair) for £18. Arrived after a day..all legit….

DrP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Having 2 wheelsets for a CX / Gravel bike.. quick stupid questions..’ is closed to new replies.